kind of new here

Here, various developers can tell you all about what they're up to, so you can yell at them for being idiots. "... and there was a great rejoicing."
Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: kind of new here

#16 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:42 am
stpa wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:07 pm i can have a look see, sure why not - is there a ticket number?
Not that I know of.
i think that was already implemented ... defaulting to i think ctrl+l (not i)

edit: it is ctrl+i
Last edited by Ophiuchus on Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

stpa
Space Kraken

#17 Post by stpa »

i just done for tonight coming up with a little details on some new species as per https://www.freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=98856
this is the text inside the triple apostrophe is copied from ingame pedia page as per PR draft as of now:

'''
Shady bloodsuckers with a dark sense of humor. Literally.
Highly adapted to and at home in the infernal eternal night.
Organic Metabolism

− Bad Influence: 75%
− Bad Population: 75%
− Bad Offensive Ground Troops: 50%
++ Great Defensive Ground Troops: 200%
++ Great Detection Range: +50 bonus
+ Good Planetary Stealth: +20 bonus
+ Haematopathic Detection: can sense nearby planets populated with organic beings.
−− Narrow Planet Tolerance: flourishes on fewer types.

Can Produce Ships
Cannot Colonize Planets

Default Focus: ERROR: FOCUS_DEFENSE

Dislikes: Panopticon Complex, Shimmer Silk

Environment Preferences:
Swamp : Hostile
Toxic : Poor
Inferno : Good
Radiated : Poor
Barren : Hostile
Tundra : Hostile
Desert : Hostile
Terran : Hostile
Ocean : Hostile

Asteroids : Uninhabitable
Gas Giant : Uninhabitable

No Homeworld

Lurking in the shadows and preying on those, who naïvely wander into the dark. Their thirst for blood is not basd on any ideology or emotion but purely on the necessities of biology. Although they'd like to be, they are not really telepathic. Instead, they are haematopathic – they can sense the blood of their potential victims over great distances. (Colonies of Nightsiders will detect nearby worlds populated with beings with Organic Metabolism).

They are so bad, they invite fire and brimstone. (Colonies of Nightsiders will attract a nearby Ion Storm).

They are so incredibly bad, they even repel good fields. (Colonies of Nightsiders will deflect an oncoming Nanite Swarm).

more fluff coming soon...

Here is a preview – but beware, they really come from the dark side ...
'''

see attached images or look at the pullrequest at https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/3665
and i'm gonna test those effects make sure they work as advertised .. and good night.
Attachments
nightsiders.png
nightsiders.png (6.98 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
nightsiders.png
nightsiders.png (16.01 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
nightsiders.png
nightsiders.png (4.14 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

The Silent One
Graphics

#18 Post by The Silent One »

So... vampires?! :lol:
stpa wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:03 pm + Haematopathic Detection: can sense nearby planets populated with organic beings.
This would translate to "blood-suffering detection" (haima = blood; pathos = suffering). Probably more like haimaesthetic detection (aesthesia = sensibility)?
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

stpa
Space Kraken

#19 Post by stpa »

sure you not mixed it up with 'hematopathy' with hem- instead of haem-? see g* ngrams hematopathy vs haematopathy - and yes i heard of that disease only after making up the new trait analogous to the other two tele-pathy or em-pathy (with the latter seemingly still missing from fo). let me assure you that this is an original creation which i came up with on the spot and i can recall no sci-fi book of the thousands i've read where that would have come up before. and of course giving it up to the world(s) under gpl v2 or other compatible licenses at the discretion of the freeorion team .. of which i hope to be someday to be allowed to become a member or smth..

The Silent One
Graphics

#20 Post by The Silent One »

stpa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:03 amsure you not mixed it up with 'hematopathy' with hem- instead of haem-?
Hem- and haem- come both from the same origin (haima), if you ask me.

See here:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hematopathy
Alternative forms: haematopathy
Also here:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hematopathic#English
(pathology) Relating to hematopathies
If I read "hematopathic" I think they're blood-sick, not that they have an ability detecting it.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

stpa
Space Kraken

#21 Post by stpa »

#Haemophilic Detection# cuz we likes u'r blood? anyway words can have multiple meenings especially when imported via different routes at different times from one into another language .. and i'll think up some polyglottomaniac species too whos main feature will be something to do with many languages.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-14 um 10.09.35.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-14 um 10.09.35.png (69.06 KiB) Viewed 1523 times

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#22 Post by Ophiuchus »

they would be haemophagic ? but the detection is of course different. How about organopathic? Our blessed vines do not have any (red) blood.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#23 Post by Oberlus »

Pathos: passion, emotion, mood, suffering.

Tele: at distance.

Telepathy: transmission and/or perception of psychic content (emotions, thoughts, memories) through distance and without material means.
Falling back to etymology, one could think that a rifle is telepathic because it is capable of "inflicting suffering at distance".
______

If what one want is "Remote sensing of blood" -> "perception of blood":

Hemic (and hematic) is Greek for relative to blood. Checked.
Now how to sense in ancient Greek.

- αίσθηση / aísthisi : perception, sense. Its the root for Aesthetics (the study of the perception of beauty), so a bit confusing, despite being so to the point in its essence.

Hemisthetic sounds cool.
But dunno if someone will argue that it means "beauty of blood".

- έννοια / enoia (literally: "in mind"): sense, meaning, concept, notion, construction...

Heminoic sounds so cool! Not sure which one I like more.
Although using hard etimology one could argue that Heminoic would mean "relative to the notion of blood", I prefer to think it means "relative the the perception of blood".
Also it rhymes with paranoic, which is a plus.

stpa
Space Kraken

#24 Post by stpa »

The Silent One wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:50 am So... vampires?! :lol:
stpa wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:03 pm + Haematopathic Detection: can sense nearby planets populated with organic beings.
This would translate to "blood-suffering detection" (haima = blood; pathos = suffering). Probably more like haimaesthetic detection (aesthesia = sensibility)?
kind of fitting, with the blood and the suffering and they might be susceptible to any number of blood diseases of their victim species as well .. in fact, that makes me think i'll add some monster scripting along the lines of 'Prionic Worms' (notice that its not pSionic but pRionic) which could infect some of the food-species and be transmitted and have different effects on the infected species and maybe cured with genetic_meds or whatever. even with the discussion of alternate labels for that detection trait i still think the -pathy suffix would work when clearly fleshed out alongside tele- and em-pathy .. (w.i.p. -- work in progress)

The Silent One
Graphics

#25 Post by The Silent One »

stpa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:12 am #Haemophilic Detection# cuz we likes u'r blood?
Haemophilia is also a coagulopathy though, bleeding disease of the kings, so also a confusing term :wink:
Oberlus wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:11 amFalling back to etymology, one could think that a rifle is telepathic because it is capable of "inflicting suffering at distance".
:lol:

But, honestly, I think hemaesthetic would be the most adequate description for a blood-detecting trait.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#26 Post by Oberlus »

The Silent One wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:32 pm hemaesthetic would be the most adequate description for a blood-detecting trait.
+1

stpa
Space Kraken

#27 Post by stpa »

how about Sanguine Sensorium .. Bloody Sense ... the Red Eye .. dunno why fixate on h(a)ema- …

stpa
Space Kraken

#28 Post by stpa »

Pansanguiescence ... Hyperhaematosensibility ... SanguineSeekerSense ... i'll make a thousend permutations but i still like haematopathy ... oh well whatever you say fits best with the rest

stpa
Space Kraken

#29 Post by stpa »

stpa wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:30 pm Looking foreward to adding some more little things before eventually getting bigger things done …
i think i found my first calling in the new species master list. that touches on many aspects of the fo-projects and seems like a good way to learn my way around the code base and the procedures around it and so on.

edit: and this way i get more content in the census ^…^

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#30 Post by LienRag »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:31 am i think that was already implemented ... defaulting to i think ctrl+l (not i)

edit: it is ctrl+i
I just tried it in the test game, to no avail.