German Translation

Discuss, plan, and make Translations for FreeOrion
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: German Translation

#61 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Bigjoe5 wrote:Jup, ich habe die letzte 4 Motane in Deutschland gewohnt, also es war eine gute Gelegenheit, Deutsch zu lernen zu beginnen. :)
Oddly enough, I might be moving there as well next year...
Let's organize a RL meeting... :mrgreen:

Straputsky
Space Krill

#62 Post by Straputsky »

Sorry for the late response. Was a bit absend these days.
adrian_broher wrote:If you want to do some additional explanation like you did in DEFENSE_TEXT or TROOP_TEXT please suggest those changes to the english string table first.
Ah sorry, my bad. These were only for testing purposes. I wanted to know how longer text passages would look like in the game. Should have cleared the file up, before uploading. I wasn't that convinced from the result. That's why I asked about text formatting options.
adrian_broher wrote: So you use the compare function of the notepad++?
Not really. I use simple "side-by-side" view: Both language files are opened and scrolled synchronically. Then I only have to check once in a while, if the string to the left matches the one to the right. If not, something is misssing...
adrian_broher wrote: Then please edit the english one first. Diverting, determining the 'best version' and merging back into the english string table is, to put it plain, a waste of time for every involved party.
To clarify myself: I don't want people implement these things. What I think might be useful is, when people try out different opportunities and IFF there are some nice results, then share it with the community. Finally the project leaders decide if they use it or not. But people can't do anything, as long as they are not aware of the possibilities.
As for me, I don't come up with a final solution right at hand. I changed several times the translation, till it fitted to my needs. The "additional explanation" you mentioned was a test run for how to display longer text passages. At this stage, no one would read them, even if there is some valuable information. For most of the tech-tree that's no problem, cause there is no real information. But some of these text boxes are some kind of in-game manual and should therefore attract the attention of the player.

Goemoe
Space Krill

#63 Post by Goemoe »

Hi there,

I just stumbled today about this nice game and I tried to use the german setting, as I am german ;) I play v 0.4.3 (6281) and I get the error, that I can't look up the battles. In the english version, battle is a link to the next data window, in the german version it looks like this (Kampf = Battle). As you can see, the link is missing. What can I do? :)
Attachments
kampf.png
kampf.png (18.94 KiB) Viewed 5188 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#64 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Goemoe wrote:What can I do? :)
Switch to a recent test build. If it's still happening in the latest build, post again.

Foocaux
Space Squid

#65 Post by Foocaux »

A related problem is that a few strings are seemingly missing inside de.txt - just looking at the sitrep combat strings (in Trunk) I see

SITREP_COMBAT_SYSTEM
At %system%: there was %combat%.
SITREP_COMBAT_SYSTEM_LABEL
Combat at System
SITREP_COMBAT_SYSTEM_ENEMY
At %system%: there was %combat% with %empire%.
SITREP_COMBAT_SYSTEM_ENEMY_LABEL
Combat at System
COMBAT
Combat
Inside en.txt, but inside de.txt we only have:

SITREP_COMBAT_SYSTEM
Ein %combat% hat in %system% stattgefunden.
Kampf auf System
COMBAT
Kampf
instead of (possibly):
SITREP_COMBAT_SYSTEM
Ein %combat% hat in %system% stattgefunden.
Kampf auf System
SITREP_COMBAT_SYSTEM_ENEMY
Ein %combat% gegen %empire% hat in %system% stattgefunden.
SITREP_COMBAT_SYSTEM_ENEMY_LABEL
Kampf auf System

COMBAT
Kampf
Checking the whole of de.txt (& es,fr,it, etc..) for every single missing string is going to be quite a task, but one I suspect it's already been looked at in preparation for the soon-to-be-released FreeOrion 0.4.4 ... :)
The small print: Any code contribution I make to FreeOrion is made under GPL v2.0, any graphic contribution is under CC-by-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#66 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Foocaux wrote:... quite a task, but one I suspect it's already been looked at in preparation for the soon-to-be-released FreeOrion 0.4.4 ... :)
I would assume most translations aren't being updated, unless someone has explicitly volunteered to do so.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#67 Post by Vezzra »

Foocaux wrote:Checking the whole of de.txt (& es,fr,it, etc..) for every single missing string is going to be quite a task, but one I suspect it's already been looked at in preparation for the soon-to-be-released FreeOrion 0.4.4 ... :)
The only stringtable that is actively maintained all the time is the English one (for obvious reasons). The other stringtables only get updated if someone drops by who is willing to do some translation work. As a small team we simply don't have the resources to maintain all the other stringtables, we are dependent on those volunteers who show up from time to time.

If you want, you're certainly welcome to work on the German translation :D

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#68 Post by MatGB »

I suspect it would be easier to start from scratch with en.txt and copy in stuff from the old de.txt (or whatever) if it's still appropriate, but I have enough trouble getting en.txt updated regularly (found another error this morning :-( )
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#69 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:but I have enough trouble getting en.txt updated regularly (found another error this morning :-( )
Which is why I think it's wasted effort going to too much trouble keeping every translation up-to-date for a game that still in alpha stage. It's nice when now and then people come along that do some translation work, but I wouldn't start to seriously bother with localization before we reach late beta stage...

Goemoe
Space Krill

#70 Post by Goemoe »

I understand, if you don't want to spare time for different languages while files are changing on and on. Perhaps you could provide a little guide what is to be changed in the language files and where, so occasional volunteers know, what to do. :)

Oh and the Kampf link is working in 7311 :)

Foocaux
Space Squid

#71 Post by Foocaux »

Since the main file (en.txt) can change at any time, I suspect it's very difficult for anyone to say what exactly needs to be changed. Anything said today would be very quickly out of date.

This is what I did, anyway:

I found en.txt & de.txt inside the freeorion\default\stringtables\ directory, then I used meld merge (a free file diff/merge program, the windows version is available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/meld-installer/) to show me the differences between the two files.
You can edit de.txt & save the changes from within meld (or any diff/merge program), and the next time you start FreeOrion, the changes you've made will show up on screen.
The small print: Any code contribution I make to FreeOrion is made under GPL v2.0, any graphic contribution is under CC-by-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#72 Post by Vezzra »

Goemoe wrote:Perhaps you could provide a little guide what is to be changed in the language files and where, so occasional volunteers know, what to do.
Foocaux' suggestions should be a good approach, other than that (or similar ideas), there's no other way than to dig through en.txt (which, being the English one, is the reference stringtable) and compare it entry by entry with the stringtable for the language you want to translate into (de.txt for German in your case). Unfortunately we don't have a tool that would help with that comparison, so the painful way it is... ;)

Cjkjvfnby
AI Contributor

#73 Post by Cjkjvfnby »

Vezzra wrote:
Goemoe wrote:Perhaps you could provide a little guide what is to be changed in the language files and where, so occasional volunteers know, what to do.
Foocaux' suggestions should be a good approach, other than that (or similar ideas), there's no other way than to dig through en.txt (which, being the English one, is the reference stringtable) and compare it entry by entry with the stringtable for the language you want to translate into (de.txt for German in your case). Unfortunately we don't have a tool that would help with that comparison, so the painful way it is... ;)
I can help with tools. (https://gist.github.com/Cjkjvfnby/977f7820f369be8501d9)

What should be done with keys that present in de.txt and missed in en.txt? Should it be removed or commented out?

Code: Select all

==== Present only in de.txt
SD_MARK_A_ORGANIC4_DESC
SD_MARK7_DESC
SD_MARK_A5B
SD_MARK_A_ORGANIC1
SD_MARK_A_ORGANIC3
SD_MARK_A_ORGANIC2
SD_MARK_A_ORGANIC4
SD_MARK_C_ENDO2_DESC
SD_MARK_B_ROBOTIC1_DESC
SD_MARK_C_ENDO8
SD_MARK_B_ROBOTIC3_DESC
SD_MARK_C_ENDO5
SD_MARK_C_ENDO4
SD_MARK_A8B
SD_MARK_C_ENDO6
SD_MARK_C_ENDO1
SD_MARK_B_ORGANIC1
SD_MARK_C_ENDO3
SD_MARK_C_ENDO2
SD_MARK_A_ORGANIC2_DESC
SD_MARK_C_ENDO7_DESC
SD_MARK_B_ROBOTIC2_DESC
SD_MARK_B_ORGANIC1_DESC
SD_MARK_A_ORGANIC3_DESC
SD_MARK_A3
SD_MARK_A7B
SD_MARK_A6B
SD_MARK_C_ENDO5_DESC
SD_MARK_A4B
SD_MARK_B_ROBOTIC1
SD_ENDO8_DESC
SD_MARK5_DESC
SD_MARK_C_ENDO7
SD_MARK6_DESC
SD_MARK_A1
SD_MARK_A7
SD_MARK_A6
SD_MARK_A5
SD_MARK_A4
SD_MARK_B_ROBOTIC4_DESC
SD_MARK_A8
SD_MARK_A2
SD_MARK8_DESC
SD_MARK_C_ENDO4_DESC
SD_MARK_C_ENDO3_DESC
SD_MARK_C_ENDO1_DESC
SD_MARK_A3B
SD_MARK_C_ENDO6_DESC
SD_MARK_B_ROBOTIC3
SD_MARK_B_ROBOTIC2
SD_MARK_B_ROBOTIC4
SD_MARK_A_ORGANIC1_DESC
What should be done with heys present in both en.txt and de.txt that have equal values?

Code: Select all

values for "UNKNOWN_VALUE_SYMBOL" are equals: ?
values for "DUMP" are equals: Debug Data Dump
values for "SM_MONSTER" are equals: Monster
values for "NOTHING_VALUE_SYMBOL" are equals: --
values for "BOMBER" are equals: Bomber
values for "UNKNOWN_VALUE_SYMBOL_2" are equals: ???
values for "MODERATOR" are equals: Moderator
values for "APPNAME" are equals: FreeOrion
values for "HOST" are equals: Host
values for "OK" are equals: OK
In attach list of values present in en and missed in de.
Attachments
missed_de.txt
(14.48 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#74 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Cjkjvfnby wrote:What should be done with keys that present in de.txt and missed in en.txt? Should it be removed or commented out?
Generally they should be removed, unless they are [[REFERENCED]] elsewhere in de.txt.
What should be done with heys present in both en.txt and de.txt that have equal values?
If they are untranslatable, proper nouns, or work just as well in either language (?, --, FreeOrion) they can be left unchanged, or if they would be better as something else in the other language, they can be changed (eg. if there was "." vs "," in the stringtable to separate fractional portions of a number). If they are normal written generic words (Monster) they should be translated.
In attach list of values present in en and missed in de.
Can you make a patch that adds them to de.txt in the appropriate locations?

Foocaux
Space Squid

#75 Post by Foocaux »

Geoff the Medio wrote: If they are normal written generic words (Monster) they should be translated.
Well, apart from monster(en), which translates to Monster(de), obviously! :lol: