Distance calculation

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.
Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
EricF
Space Dragon
Posts: 266
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:12 am

Distance calculation

#1 Post by EricF » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:17 pm

When a building says it has a certain effect and gives a distance in uu's is that distance a straight line or is it calculated along starlanes?
I built a lighthouse that I was positive was within 200uu straight line to a planet I was moving but it didn't work.

User avatar
MatGB
Creative Contributor
Posts: 3310
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:45 pm

Re: Distance calculation

#2 Post by MatGB » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:27 pm

Straight line distance. Select the system and alt c, that give a range circle, zoom in or out to get it at the right length, having the distance meter on helps.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

UrshMost
Space Kraken
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:32 am
Location: Great White North Eh

Re: Distance calculation

#3 Post by UrshMost » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:37 pm

MatGB wrote:Straight line distance. Select the system and alt c, that give a range circle, zoom in or out to get it at the right length, having the distance meter on helps.
I never knew this feature existed, thanks!
Windows 7 64bit, AMD 8 Core, 8 GB
Nvidia GTX 670 @ 3240x1920
FreeOrion Build: Latest Windows Test Build

xlightwavex
Space Kraken
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:57 am

Re: Distance calculation

#4 Post by xlightwavex » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:17 am

UrshMost wrote:
MatGB wrote:Straight line distance. Select the system and alt c, that give a range circle, zoom in or out to get it at the right length, having the distance meter on helps.
I never knew this feature existed, thanks!
Sounds like a good canidate for a beginners hint in en.txt

BEGINNER_HINT_22
22: Selecting a system and pressing (alt c) gives a range circle for the system, zoom in or out to compare the distance, by looking at the size of the distance meter.

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4609
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: Distance calculation

#5 Post by Vezzra » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:49 am

xlightwavex wrote:Sounds like a good canidate for a beginners hint in en.txt

BEGINNER_HINT_22
22: Selecting a system and pressing (alt c) gives a range circle for the system, zoom in or out to compare the distance, by looking at the size of the distance meter.
Good idea, committed: 30e95bd

User avatar
Ouaz
Dyson Forest
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:21 pm
Location: France

Re: Distance calculation

#6 Post by Ouaz » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:34 pm

Actually, the Distance Scale Circle option is mentionned in the Detection Range pedia article:

Code: Select all

Space ships and planets have a Detection Range meter. There is the option to display Detection Range circles (in uu) in the Galaxy Map section of the Options menu.  To facilitate predictions of what would be within a Detection Range, there are also options to display a standard 'Map Scale Line' as well as a 'Map Scale Circle' centered on the currently selected system and indicating the same distance as the Map Scale Line.  They are both responsive to the the map zoom level and can be toggled via hotkeys.
But it's good to have it also in the beginner hint (as it's a very useful tool).

I don't remember well, but I think that the Map Scale Line is not activated by default in the options, when FO is freshly installed. I think it should be modified to "on" by default.
Last edited by Ouaz on Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

User avatar
Vezzra
Release Manager, Design
Posts: 4609
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm
Location: Sol III

Re: Distance calculation

#7 Post by Vezzra » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:39 pm

Ouaz wrote:I don't remember well, but I think that the Map Scale Line is not activated by default in the options, when FO is freshly installed. I think it should be modified to "on" by default.
It's not? I'm fairly sure it is, because I never explicitely turn it on, and use new versions all the time (which should reset config.xml). But the distance meter is always on for me...

User avatar
Ouaz
Dyson Forest
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:21 pm
Location: France

Re: Distance calculation

#8 Post by Ouaz » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:46 pm

Vezzra wrote:It's not? I'm fairly sure it is, because I never explicitely turn it on, and use new versions all the time (which should reset config.xml). But the distance meter is always on for me...
Yes, I'm surely wrong. I confuse with the Map Zoom Slider. ^^
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Post Reply