Ship Crews

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
EricF
Space Dragon

Ship Crews

#1 Post by EricF »

I would like to be able to pick the Race that 'mans' the ships I build in the design screen.
Have a drop down box that lists all the available species to my empire and I select one.
Then wherever I build those ships of that design they are crewed with that species that I selected and not the one native to the planet it is being built at..
If resources, in PP's, can be shared among all planets I don't see why crews can't be shipped around as well.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Ship Crews

#2 Post by MatGB »

Strategic decision making, one of the choices you make is where to build up and establish a high end shipyard (note: shipyards are planned to be more expensive and thus rarer). If you could choose any crew type at any planet there are less choices to be made, you'd need to replace this balance with something else (and probably tone down the species benefits in a boring way).
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

EricF
Space Dragon

#3 Post by EricF »

MatGB wrote:Strategic decision making, one of the choices you make is where to build up and establish a high end shipyard (note: shipyards are planned to be more expensive and thus rarer).
Yes, exactly. I should be able to strategically choose where my shipyards are. Not be forced to because that's where the species is at.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

EricF wrote:I should be able to strategically choose where my shipyards are. Not be forced to because that's where the species is at.
The idea is that species availability is one of the factors to consider when placing a shipyard, not the only thing worth considering which completely dictates where it must go.