Automatic Scrolling Bugs in Lists

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
CaptainTofu2
Space Krill

Automatic Scrolling Bugs in Lists

#1 Post by CaptainTofu2 »

So this bug has been there for a long time. I havent found a thread for it, so lets gather some Ideas.

It occurs in production list and research list. It starts, when releasing mouse while dragging a project. It forces scrolling up or down. Changing screen, loading the game does not help. Dragging another project stops it.
I tried out spots to drag onto, but I see no pattern, except, that it sometimes starts due to re-ordering projects in a list. Clicking or scrolling while dragging does not create the bug.

Ideas: I think it can only happen, if you have a project list of longer than 1 screen. I need to try out, if the bug is reconstructable via saves. Do you know anything else to narrow it down?
(Same person as "CaptainTofu". HDD crash and loss of all passwords...)

UrshMost
Space Kraken

Re: Automatic Scrolling Bugs in Lists

#2 Post by UrshMost »

I used to get that occasionally, but haven't for a long time. Are you running a current version of the game?
Windows 10 64bit, AMD 8 Core, 16 GB
Nvidia GTX 670 @ 3240x1920
FreeOrion Build: Latest Windows Test Build

EricF
Space Dragon

#3 Post by EricF »

Are your video drivers up to date?

Edit:bullshit removed

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

EricF wrote:Are your video drivers up to date?
Unlikely to be relevant for a GUI behaviour issue. (More so relevant for GUI rendering problems)

EricF
Space Dragon

#5 Post by EricF »

I was able to reproduce this bug.
It doesn't happen until there are over 20 items in the queue.
Interestingly, if I resize the production queue to be much smaller I could cause this bug to appear with very few items in the queue. So it seems linked to the size of the queue window. Removing items from the queue until everything is in the same window makes the effect go away.

UrshMost
Space Kraken

#6 Post by UrshMost »

EricF wrote:I was able to reproduce this bug.
It doesn't happen until there are over 20 items in the queue.
Interestingly, if I resize the production queue to be much smaller I could cause this bug to appear with very few items in the queue. So it seems linked to the size of the queue window. Removing items from the queue until everything is in the same window makes the effect go away.
I was just able to reproduce it as well.

It appears to be happening when you grab an item and hover near the bottom of the list window so that it starts scrolling down, and then drop while it is still scrolling. It never gets the message to stop scrolling, so now if you try to scroll back up from the bottom, it just autoscrolls back down, until you do something else to change to list order.
Windows 10 64bit, AMD 8 Core, 16 GB
Nvidia GTX 670 @ 3240x1920
FreeOrion Build: Latest Windows Test Build

EricF
Space Dragon

#7 Post by EricF »

I had a similar but opposite experience. I was dragging something up and it would auto scroll to the top.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by MatGB »

EricF wrote:I had a similar but opposite experience. I was dragging something up and it would auto scroll to the top.
That's my normal experience.

For what it's worth one of the reasons I asked for and others implemented things like "add to top of queue" and "move to top/bottom of queue" in the right click menus was to massively reduce the incidence of this, a few fixes to the actual problem have been applied in the past to also reduce it but eliminating it completely appears harder.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#9 Post by defaultuser »

How about "add to top of queue" for Research items?

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#10 Post by LGM-Doyle »

defaultuser, if you Ctrl-double click in the research tree it adds that item and all of its dependencies to the top of the research queue.

UrshMost, I was able to duplicate the bug with your instructions. Could you create an issue for this on github?

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#11 Post by defaultuser »

LGM-Doyle wrote:defaultuser, if you Ctrl-double click in the research tree it adds that item and all of its dependencies to the top of the research queue.
I will give that a try.

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#12 Post by LGM-Doyle »

CaptainTofu2, this problem should be fixed in the master branch.