Error when loading save file

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Onesimus
Krill Swarm

Error when loading save file

#1 Post by Onesimus »

FreeOrion_v0.4.5_2015-09-01.f203162_Test_Win32
Windows 10 Home, version 1607, OS build 14393.222

I am definitely warming to this game! Once I learned the way the shared resources work for production and research, I have begun seeing how to best manage it.

However, I have encountered a real bummer of a problem: I played the game saving and reloading day by day, but when I tried to reload turn 523, I received a message box stating "Error when loading save file". (Incidentally, however you display these message and dialog boxes, please allow copy/paste of the text. I hate retyping!)

I have located the directory and tried to attach the saved file, but it never loads

O
8)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Error when loading save file

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If you show details while looking at the saves folder, is there anything unusual about the file, such as its size being substantially different from saves the turn before or after, more so than usual turn-to-turn variations?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

You're also playing an outdated release, 0.4.5, which is over a year old. The latest stable release is 0.4.6, download here. You might consider switching to that. However, your old saves from 0.4.5 won't load with the new version.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#4 Post by defaultuser »

If you have auto save on, then you don't really need to keep making save files when you quit. Just load the last auto when you start up.

Onesimus
Krill Swarm

#5 Post by Onesimus »

Geoff the Medio wrote:If you show details while looking at the saves folder, is there anything unusual about the file, such as its size being substantially different from saves the turn before or after, more so than usual turn-to-turn variations?
As a matter of fact, it's several orders of magnitude larger than the ones that work.

Thanks, all, for the feedback. I had trouble with 4.6, with my mouse pointer disappearing. I'll try again.