Negative happiness

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
defaultuser
Juggernaut

Negative happiness

#1 Post by defaultuser »

What happens to a colony when the happiness level goes negative? I happened to get a case this time.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Negative happiness

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Nothing special. Various content requires some minimum happiness to function, but I couldn't find anything specifically testing if happiness was 0 or more. Might be something I missed, though.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#3 Post by defaultuser »

Right, you're never going to be able repair ships or colonize other planets from there, in fact the reason I noticed was that I was checking to see if that planet could do a repair job for me. They were on a non-preferred focus.

I was curious as to whether there any other effects. I know there's been talk of things to come, including possibly revolts or things like that. Seems like negative happiness might make a world prime from revolution against the oppressors.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

The biggest negative effect is normally xenophobia which we currently don't have any counters to, and we haven't really introduced stuff that directly affect happiness one way or the other for specific planets/species.

We hope to, but it'll be part of/after the Influence project which is going to be worked on this cycle but not introduced until after we've finished Fighters and got a Release out with them in (that's the current plan, anyway).
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#5 Post by defaultuser »

That was the case here, Eaxaw set to Research focus. General Contentedness 10, Xenophobic Frenzy -11.

I thought about leaving it to see what would happen, but I really did want to use the system for repairs.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

Yeah: giving them a preferred focus was a necessary thing, and I hope to introduce more stuff that plays with Happiness, including buildings and techs, as well as some sort of "don't be so evil" tech for those hate fueled worms.

But I don't want to completely negate the evil, sometimes just giving them their own little corner of the galaxy and stargating ships in/out is a lot easier.

Ideas for buildings/techs that can improve or otherwsie change happiness very much appreciated, they won't go in immediately but over time we will need them.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

psychlops
Space Krill

#7 Post by psychlops »

Not sure if it's taboo to resurrect old threads like this but I just recently stumbled on Free Orion after a pretty long hiatus from 4x games. I was wondering if the lack of technology or buildings to address happiness was ever addressed. I'm playing 0.4.10.2 which I think was the last stable release though I've been thinking about downloading the newest beta to help out with play testing.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by Oberlus »

psychlops wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:06 am I was wondering if the lack of technology or buildings to address happiness was ever addressed. I'm playing 0.4.10.2 which I think was the last stable release though I've been thinking about downloading the newest beta to help out with play testing.
Happiness was quite underused in 0.4.10.2 (and any before). The new happiness, called stability, is extremely important in current version, and there are numerous ways (most of them policies to adopt) to increase stability (or to reduce it in exchange of something else).
You'll be very welcome to join playtesters (in single or multiplayer) to help improve current version.