Fighters! Feedback needed

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Fighters! Feedback needed

#61 Post by MatGB »

I hope, over the next cycle, to do a proper costs balancing on all ship parts, which hasn't really been done at all before. When Vezzra committed the cost of 20 I'd been testing various values and found about 12 seemed right, but that's only in direct comparison to the current costs of all the other parts: I still think shields are slightly too expensive, and armour is ridiculously cheap, I'm not at all sold that I got the costs of the current fighter parts at all correct and the weapon costs overall are fairly arbitrary.

Then, of course, there're the other fighter parts we can/should implement, a core slot part is definitely needed, etc.

20 isn't over the top expensive, but I think it does put it on the expensive side: the change did stop the AI from building ships entirely kitted out with flak cannons, which was good on its own ;-)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#62 Post by LienRag »

Vezzra wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:17 pm I think stealthed carriers not getting revealed by launching fighters is actually a very interesting (albeit powerful) mechanic which I'd like to keep, at least long term. Actually that could tie in nicely with Geoff's idea of a "noisiness" stat for weapons, fighter launch bays would have a very low "noisiness" (which makes sense for long range weapons in general).

However, as a temporary fix we could change it so launching figthers would reveal a carrier the same way as firing weapons does, if the stealthed carrier strategy really breaks the AI too badly. That's the kind of fix which could actually be done on the release branch once it's created, so it won't get into master.
Found this message that I entirely agree with...

So the "launch reveals carrier the turn it happens" is only temporary ?
Great !

Even as a temporary measure before "noisiness" comes into play, is it difficult to make it reveal ships only one turn later ?
So that stealthy carriers have only two turns of being fired at rather than three - at least it would play a little bit differently than stealthy gunships, and also allow to destroy the enemy without losses, if one is able to overwhelm enemy defenses in one round (two if there are gunships fighting on the first round, who will get fired at on round two anyway)

drkosy
Space Dragon

#63 Post by drkosy »

Even as a temporary measure before "noisiness" comes into play
I don't think that is neccessary, because FLAK is a reliable method to kill fighters. Maybe FLAK would even become more important. Right now it's not necessary if you have guns big enough to kill the carrier fast, the fighters (if not to much) doesn't do that much damage. With this mechanics you can't kill the carrier but the fighters which is quite interesting.
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod