no sound

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
playerxxcc
Krill Swarm

no sound

#1 Post by playerxxcc »

i just installed 0.4.7 version, but i do not have a sound. i checked audio settings, all seems to be ok. any suggestion what could be wrong?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: no sound

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Someone recently reported similar trouble with 0.4.6. Do you know if sound had worked for you in 0.4.6? Their thread in the support forum has some suggestions you should probably take a look at.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

playerxxcc
Krill Swarm

#3 Post by playerxxcc »

yes, 0.4.6 it worked fine. in release candidate it did not work as well, but i thought it will be fixed with official version...

playerxxcc
Krill Swarm

#4 Post by playerxxcc »

i checked link you posted. it seems its xp problem, because i am also using xp sp3. oh well, ill play without sound, anyway sound is not that important for game

Thorbjoern
Space Krill

#5 Post by Thorbjoern »

I have the same problem. Same version FreeOrion & Windows. I am testing some builds right now, will post further infos.

Thorbjoern
Space Krill

#6 Post by Thorbjoern »

The last version where the sound works is
FreeOrion_2016-12-13.eaf735e_Test_Win32_Setup
every version after that: silence.
I hope that helps :) , because i like the backgroung music and the sound effects.

LGM-Doyle
Programmer

#7 Post by LGM-Doyle »

Thorbjoern, the next 4 commits after eaf735e, which you report is the last working version, are the commits that transition the project to C++11 and the new SDK. Both of those changes impose new restrictions on the versions of compiler and libraries required to compile FreeOrion.

What compiler and version are you using?
Is it the most current that you have access to?

What version of the FreeOrion SDK are you using?
The latest version is available from here

What versions of the required components are you using?
The list of required components is here.

OpenAL handles our sound.
What version of OpenAL do you have?

I noticed that our link for OpenAl download was broken, so I will change that to this.

We also don't list a version for OpenAL but if we find that upgrading your current version fixes that problem then we can change the required version on our website.