Explore autofunction should avoid detectable hostile ships.

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
mwobuddy
Space Floater

Explore autofunction should avoid detectable hostile ships.

#1 Post by mwobuddy »

if you set scouts or any other ship to explore, and you detect monsters (which actually seems to populate a lot around starting points) or other nation ships, your ship will go dumbly into the system and get chewed up. Basically, you have to go back to the unit and turn off the explore function, and since space is so densely populated the autoexplore function trips a possible deadly encounter within 2 turns, so it doesn't really save you time, as you'll have to go back and turn it off or lose the ship, and then you'll have to manually redirect it somewhere else.

The function of exploring doesn't relieve you of micromanagement or seem to perform any useful function. It would be useful if ships avoided going into systems that they can detect enemies at. This would mean exploring ships would still die to stuff in electrostorm covered systems or hidden by nation ratings or other cloaking tech, but it would still be a useful function. Not too strong, not too weak, relieve the micromanagement.

There should also be some form of explore-attack to give combat ships a command to reach out to 50% of their fuel past supply line and strike monsters or nation ships.+

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Explore autofunction should avoid detectable hostile shi

#2 Post by Vezzra »

That is a known issue, and it actually applies to more than just the auto-explore command for scouts. If for instance you send a colony ship to a remote system, you'd want the pathfinding algorithm to avoid systems with known hostile armed forces too. In addition to that you should be able to manually mark systems you'd want your fleets to avoid. All that is already on the todo list, it's just (with oh so many other things on that list) a question when a dev will finally come around to implement it...

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#3 Post by defaultuser »

I never used explore past the first few games. Strategic exploration and positioning makes more sense to me.

mwobuddy
Space Floater

#4 Post by mwobuddy »

Similar, but the idea I would guess is reducing micromanagement. I still use explore, and scouts of low tech may be a viable alternative for mid or late game stationary detectors in lieu of spending RPs on higher detection.