Easier colonisation?

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Easier colonisation?

#1 Post by Oberlus »

Playing 2017-10-03.9db0569_Test_Win32

I've noticed (with this and previous test version, I did not play during summer) that you no longer need the Ecology tech to be able to colonise adequate planets. E.g., playing with Abaddoni, I get a +3 max. pop. on a medium radiated planet right from start. This introduces big changes on the expansion strategy.

Is that change intended?
Is it going to stay like this?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Easier colonisation?

#2 Post by MatGB »

It's intentional, but only for Abaddoni (and, currently, self sustaining and phototrophes but that's not a change).

Abaddoni start with Subterranean Habitation as per their flavour text but are otherwise underwhelming stat wise. It probably needs to be better documented but is in their Pedia entry.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:It probably needs to be better documented
Definitely. Particularly in the tooltip of the species selector of the game setup dialog. Currently you only see their disadvantageous stats there, which will have players wonder why anyone should ever want to pick that species...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

Vezzra wrote:you only see their disadvantageous stats there, which will have players wonder why anyone should ever want to pick that species...
For a chalenge!
However Abaddoni are not as handicaped as one could think of. With the broader environment resistance thingy (can't remember name) plus the subterranean from start you can get quite a boost early on. Three games I've played with them (300 systems, high density, 9 AIs) three games I was ahead in number of colonies from turn 15 till the end. I've got tougher games with other races.