Request for Feedback: Conquered Sly

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Ophiuchus
Programmer

Request for Feedback: Conquered Sly

#1 Post by Ophiuchus »

What are your experiences after conquering Sly empires? With all that Sly population you have probably have useful some stockpiling capability.

Around what turn / tech level did this happen? Does it have an influence on your playing style? Do you start expanding into deep enemy territory using Sly stealth on gas giants?

Do you keep on colonizing your gas giants with Sly?

Did you conquer the Sly to get that capabilites or were they just the unlucky neighbor?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Request for Feedback: Conquered Sly

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote:With all that Sly population you have probably have useful some stockpiling capability.
Indeed. And I never research any IS tech.
Around what turn / tech level did this happen?
Varies.
The sooner is when I get laser, robotic, first shields and enough detection to invade their planets (so the same turn that I could be invading a Laenfa empire), which happens between turns 50 and 100, but keep in mind that my playstyle is never aggressive, I always focus on expansion and improving RPs and PPs. Conquering other species gets attention when it will improve my RP and PP output (see below).
Does it have an influence on your playing style? Do you start expanding into deep enemy territory using Sly stealth on gas giants?
Once I have Sly I do the same as when I am Sly from the start: all those GGs will be mine!
Do you keep on colonizing your gas giants with Sly?
Of course! I keep colonising anything, and obviously also the GGs. More pop, more research, more production. Why would anyone not colonise GGs if they can?
Did you conquer the Sly to get that capabilites or were they just the unlucky neighbor?
If I can choose, I will get first the Sly (for the ability to inhabit GGs, not for the IS capabilities). Exception is that I have many available hostile planets that would be good/adequate with one yet-to-be conquered species (e.g., if I am human and I have many radiated worlds in my systems, then I will prioritise getting Replicons over Sly). But that is close to irrelevant, because I will get the first species in turn N and the other one in turn N+5 or so.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#3 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote:Why would anyone not colonise GGs if they can?
The GG generator bonus drops by half if you colonize the GG.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote:The GG generator bonus drops by half if you colonize the GG.
You get +5 instead of +10 for the other planets on that system, but you get +5 instead of +0 in the GG(s) as well as the RPs and PPs from the population of the GG(s). I guess that for systems where you have many (5+) planets, iff you have researched few-to-none pop-dep bonuses, it could be better to not colonise the GG, but otherwise it would be counterproductive. So only in early game and for very particular systems you could prefer to delay the Sly colonisation.