RC 0.4.8 + PR 2168 so far so good

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

RC 0.4.8 + PR 2168 so far so good

#1 Post by Oberlus »

Finished my fourth game. I see nothing weird to report. A combination of two (non-allied) AIs pwned my ass last game (I was human). I'd swear there's AI improvement here.
Sly are playable, Trith are less balanced than Sly right now and have been like that since long ago (pre-0.4.7?) so I think there are no real concerns regarding balance for 0.4.8.

playerxxcc
Krill Swarm

Re: RC 0.4.8 + PR 2168 so far so good

#2 Post by playerxxcc »

played some games and i did not found anything weird, only sound still not working for xp users, but that is minor problem. only thing i miss, is some option to set human player (and only human player) level of handicap (let say 110%,120%... more prod, sci needed for same result...), just to make it more challenging. great work otherwise!!!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: RC 0.4.8 + PR 2168 so far so good

#3 Post by Oberlus »

What you ask for, a configurable handicap for human players, is not implemented and I think it won't be (they don't want a cheating AI, they want a clever AI, I support that idea).

But you can achieve that for you easily:
- Pick species that are not overpowered and tune the galaxy settings against them (e.g. ancient galaxies for phototropic species, few systems per empire for bad troop/pilot species, etc.).
- When you start a game do some initial exploration (a few turns tops) and restart if you see any adequate/good planets available for your starting colonizer. When your starting coloniser is useless for first 10/20 turns you will be dragging behind for sure.
- Do not use any exploit against AI.