Stealthed planet gets attacked every other turn

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Stealthed planet gets attacked every other turn

#1 Post by Oberlus »

Playing 0.4.8 RC2, Windows 7.

I attach save files for turns 100 and 110 of my current game (Sly). Check system Morma beta. There is an ongoing battle between an attacking fleet and a defending planet of two AI empires, and I also have GGs colonised in there, with stealth 65. Every AI in game is still detection 30, so they can't see the GGs. For some reason the attacking AI is failing to bring in troopers so it's been there for a while, punching the other AI planets and the ocasional ships it builds. I get the combat report every turn. The funny thing is my hidden planets get involved in the battle every second turn.
First time I noticed a combat report with one hidden GG involved this game, it was a monster (with high detection, I think) who triggered the combat, so all was OK. But these last combats I'm commenting here had no monster whatsoever. I couldn't find a similar open issue on github. Should I open one?

Edit: by turn 120 the same situation is happening in another system (two different AIs battling in the same system where I have a hidden GG, and it gets attacked every second turn).
Attachments
FO_planet_stealth_every_other_turn.zip
(2.52 MiB) Downloaded 128 times

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Stealthed planet gets attacked every other turn

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Oberlus wrote:The funny thing is my hidden planets get involved in the battle every second turn.
First time I noticed a combat report with one hidden GG involved this game, it was a monster (with high detection, I think) who triggered the combat, so all was OK. But these last combats I'm commenting here had no monster whatsoever.
That sounds consistent with our combat system (but let me know if my assumptions about your tech are wrong)-- for each system there is a single determination made each turn about whether there is combat in that system. So long as at least one combatant present can see an enemy target, there will be combat for every empire with a presence in that system. From your description, I am expecting that you do not yet have planetary defense regeneration. So that on turn N your planet has defenses, fires on an enemy & becomes visible to them, gets counter-attacked and has its defenses knocked to zero. On the next turn, N+1, without defense regen its defenses are still zero since it was just attacked, and so on this turn it does not attack, does not get revealed, and thus is not attacked. So that on turn N+2, it has got a point of defenses back, attacks and reveals itself, etc.

I couldn't find a similar open issue on github. Should I open one?
It doesn't sound like it to me, but if my scenario above is wrong about some tech assumption then we'll need to discuss it more.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

I think you got it right. I got planetary defenses but not regeneration, and didn't check the combat logs.

So I guess what I was expecting is that hidden planets do not get involved in battles were there are no allied ships. That is another issue, not very relevant.

With defense regeneration, the planet would fight every (and detected every turn), but I guess enemy won't be able to invade it?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

Oberlus wrote:but I guess enemy won't be able to invade it?
right
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0