Ship design issue

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
megalith
Krill Swarm

Ship design issue

#1 Post by megalith »

Hello, ie. you create ship design named "Bio adaptive destroyer", that is bio adaptive hull with choosen components, but then you delete the design, and later decide to create new design with same or different name (the name doesn't matter) but the new design is composed of same ship hull and same components.

Now here is a problem because new design can't be created, the button "add finished design" reads "the design is a duplicate of 'Bio adaptive destroyer'". that is frustrating because Bio adaptive destroyer does not exist anymore, and there is no fix around this except changing ship components which is not desirable, changing design name doesn't matter, what matters is that deleted ships design can't be recreated (with same ship components).

game version is: build 2018-10-27.db69f1b

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Ship design issue

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Could it be that you didn't "delete" the "Bio adaptive destroyer" but "obsolete" it?
Ship designs that you do obsolete are still amonng the saved designs, just won't show up in the available list.
In the Design window, the "Design Starts" panel has a "Saved" tab. Try browsing it to find out if your "Bio adaptive destroyer" is still among the saved designs.
Or better, hide the "Available" designs and show the "Obsolete" designs by clicking on the corresponding buttons (right on top of the tabs of the "Design Starts" subwindow). There you should see all saved designs that you have made obsolete during current game, and right clicking on them should offer you to un-obsolte a given design (or delete, rename o save).

Hope it helps.

megalith
Krill Swarm

#3 Post by megalith »

Oh I see, there are tabs to show obsolete designs, I tried that and it didn't work because design which I tried to recreate wans't obsolete but indeed deleted.

for convinience I created a new design named "test", then *deleted* that design and were not able to recreate the design under same or different name because the design is a "duplicate" of deleted design.
It is possible however to see deleted design in "all known" design tab, but there is no context menu on right clicking to undelete design or to permanently delete it from game session. it is there until end of the current game session, and disappears only once new game is started.

you can try out and see for yourself, its easy to reproduce this issue, just make sure you delete design and then try to recreate new design with same ship hull and same components.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

I think this is worth opening an issue at github, if nothing like this has been reported before (IDK). Would you like to do it yourself?

megalith
Krill Swarm

#5 Post by megalith »