One colony replaces the other

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
defaultuser
Juggernaut

One colony replaces the other

#1 Post by defaultuser »

I'm still playing the stable version of 0.4.8 from 8/23/2018. I searched the Issues and such and didn't find a match, but I might have missed it.

Anyway, I started an Exobot colony build at an outpost. However, supply didn't connect so it sat there and I forgot about it. Eventually supply connected and I started a new Abaddoni colony build without noticing the old Exobot one. Five turns later, the Exobot colony was established and the Abaddoni colony was produced. The next turn, the Abaddoni colony was established, wiping out the Exobot one.

I probably wouldn't have realized if it weren't for the fact that I started an outpost base build when the Exobots were established, and went to do it again when the Abaddonis showed up - only to find one already in build.

I don't know if this is expected behavior or a bug. I suspect it's because when the first colony was established, there was no other colony start on the production queue to freeze. I haven't tried to reproduce it.

Edit: It is reproducible.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: One colony replaces the other

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

That is a bug. You should not be able to put PP in a colony project if you already have colonisation building/a species on the planet.

You also should not be able to put PP in more than one colony project on the same planet at the same time. We could stop production in that case and send a sitrep warning.

Please open an issue on github.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:14 amPlease open an issue on github.
With a test save file, and perhaps screenshots illustrating the issue, if possible.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#4 Post by defaultuser »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:14 am That is a bug. You should not be able to put PP in a colony project if you already have colonisation building/a species on the planet.

You also should not be able to put PP in more than one colony project on the same planet at the same time. We could stop production in that case and send a sitrep warning.
It's always (at least since colony buildings were added) been the case that you can build two different colony types at the same planet. I can't be the only one aware of that. I think the AIs do it sometimes.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#5 Post by defaultuser »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:54 am
Ophiuchus wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:14 amPlease open an issue on github.
With a test save file, and perhaps screenshots illustrating the issue, if possible.
As I said, it's reproducible. All you have to do is set an outpost, start one species colonizing, and then another the next turn (assuming they have the same time to build of course).

I just think it's not in the rule set for colony buildings that there isn't already one there.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

defaultuser wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:47 amI can't be the only one aware of that. I think the AIs do it sometimes.
The AI does it often, usually Exobots and something else.

Asking for a save file is to save time to developers.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#7 Post by defaultuser »

I don't have one at hand, so I would need to create the situation in a game.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#8 Post by em3 »

defaultuser wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:32 pm I don't have one at hand, so I would need to create the situation in a game.
I assume that developers don't have one on hand either and would need to create the situation in game just like you.

If you prepare the save game yourself, you increase the odds someone will try to fix it. I can tell from experience, that fixing bugs that require only loading a prepared state is more pleasant and quicker than having to prepare the state before fixing.

Of course it's not your job to do so, but neither is the developers'. They are fixing things in their free time.

Sorry if I sound patronizing.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#9 Post by defaultuser »

That's up to them. They have been made aware of the situation.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#10 Post by Ophiuchus »

defaultuser wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:25 am That's up to them. They have been made aware of the situation.
I am not sure that sentence contains Information.

An unprepared low prio bug is unlikely to be fixed.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#11 Post by Oberlus »

defaultuser wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:25 am That's up to them. They have been made aware of the situation.
Well, thanks for the report.
Next time, when you encounter a situation you're willing to report, assuming you found it while playing, could you locate an autosave of the game before the issue happened and attach it to your report?

4xel
Space Floater

#12 Post by 4xel »

As the saying goes :"if it's free, you are the product". For open source, you're not sold but you're sometimes put to work.

Voluntarily ofc, but it's not up to the dev, it's up to whoever cares enough about this issue and have the time and competences to spare.

Anyway, here is a save on the ppa build 2019-04-29-1601105 where a planet is producing both a human and an exobot colony at the same time.

Next turn the exobot colony is produced and the human colony is still being built, the turn after, exobot settle and the human colony is still being built, and the two next turn, human colony is built and human settle atop the bots.
Attachments
One_colony_replaces_the_other.zip
(3.72 MiB) Downloaded 234 times

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#13 Post by Oberlus »

4xel wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:43 pmhere is a save on the ppa build 2019-04-29-1601105 where a planet is producing both a human and an exobot colony at the same time.
Kudos!
Would you open an issue on Github and attach the save?
I guess that one is enough. The dev that addresses it can try the patch by removing both buildings and try to enqueue them again.