Invade button not always appearing

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
swaq
Space Dragon

Invade button not always appearing

#1 Post by swaq »

Quite a few times now I've run into the Invade button not appearing when I think it should. I seem to either have to wait some number of turns or have my ships leave and return for the button to show up. Is there some mechanic/requirement I am missing?

For example right now I have a fleet with 3.2k attack and 1.1k troops that has been hovering over an enemy planet that currently has 78 shield and 13 troops. No Invade button (why didn't my ships attack the shield?). If I wait yet another turn the shields recharge to 97 instead of being attacked.

swaq
Space Dragon

Re: Invade button not always appearing

#2 Post by swaq »

Ah, I think I figured it out. My fleet was set to "Hide" instead of "Control System". I didn't even notice I could toggle that! I don't know how it got set to Hide in the first place, maybe something to do with the way I have been merging fleets?

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#3 Post by AndrewW »

swaq wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:38 am Ah, I think I figured it out. My fleet was set to "Hide" instead of "Control System". I didn't even notice I could toggle that! I don't know how it got set to Hide in the first place, maybe something to do with the way I have been merging fleets?
If you split off damaged ships that stack is set to hide, so if it was a stack like that even if repaired unless you changed it back it will be on hide.

swaq
Space Dragon

#4 Post by swaq »

AndrewW wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:47 am
swaq wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:38 am Ah, I think I figured it out. My fleet was set to "Hide" instead of "Control System". I didn't even notice I could toggle that! I don't know how it got set to Hide in the first place, maybe something to do with the way I have been merging fleets?
If you split off damaged ships that stack is set to hide, so if it was a stack like that even if repaired unless you changed it back it will be on hide.
That makes sense. I just did some experimenting and found that outposts, scouts, and troop ships are set to Hide by default when built. And when you merge a fleet it will have the setting of the selected ship. So what I am guessing happened is I had some troop ships join my battle ships, right-clicked one of the troop ships, and then merged them.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

This is a bug, check this out: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11297&p=96330#p96325

It was supposed to be fixed already. Are you using latest versión?

swaq
Space Dragon

#6 Post by swaq »

Oberlus wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:35 pm This is a bug, check this out: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11297&p=96330#p96325

It was supposed to be fixed already. Are you using latest versión?
I don't think this bug is affecting my version (should be the latest from git). I just played a whole game while paying attention to the Hide/Control System mechanic and never ran into a situation where the Invade button did not appear. So I think it was entirely user error. :oops:

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#7 Post by defaultuser »

AndrewW wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:47 am
Which I still hate, as it serves little purpose and often causes problems.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#8 Post by Ophiuchus »

I think active/passive toggle does not affect the invade button.
I would consider it a bug
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#9 Post by defaultuser »

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:03 am I think active/passive toggle does not affect the invade button.
I would consider it a bug
It would if the fleet is not able to knock down planet shields/defenses, which sounds like was the case here.

alleryn
Space Dragon

#10 Post by alleryn »

I think, in general, the default hide behavior could use a little work eventually.

Personally i would like to see an option to turn off the default hide when you break fleets up by damaged ships. Often the ships you are going to repair are not on death's door, they just aren't at full health. You still want those ships to intercept enemy fleets. Typically, even if the ships are extremely low, i don't really want to have them hide. Chances are, any fleet they run into that is going to be themselves hidden has just as much chance to be as or more in need of repair. If they run into a fleet they want to hide from, most likely that fleet is just going to be on intercept anyhow.

Don't get me wrong, hide is an awesome feature, and kudos to whoever implemented it. It's extremely useful on non-combat ships (scouts/transports) and toggling it on warships is very useful when, for example, bypassing a high tech natives planet that you aren't ready for to get to something on the other side. (Although if you aren't actually stopping In the system itself, you don't need to toggle it in that case).

But for how i use it, i would rather have the default on split-damaged-fleets be non-hide ('Control System'). Do other people find this default behavior advantageous?

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#11 Post by defaultuser »

What happens too often for me is, damaged ships are split off, they go to dock for repair, then come back fully restored. And still Hidden, which screws up some later action.

I also use a lot of robotic hulls, so I often split damaged and leave them to self-repair and blockade/maintain supply lines at points. I think the need for Hidden is specialized enough that people who want that for a fleet can turn it on and the other cases would benefit from Control. At least make the default an option.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#12 Post by Geoff the Medio »

As of https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... 92ca79da8b damaged split fleet aggression should match the originating fleet aggression.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#13 Post by defaultuser »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:25 pm As of https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... 92ca79da8b damaged split fleet aggression should match the originating fleet aggression.
Excellent.