Gifting mechanics

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Gifting mechanics

#16 Post by Geoff the Medio »

alleryn wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:16 pmThe vision sharing does seem to be symmetrical.

The bug seems to be that vision is only granted when fleets move, or something like that. In the save, moving a ship off of the green homeworld exposes vision both of that ship, and of the homeworld itself.
I suspect visibility is shared each turn for what is seen that turn, but not all previously observed and remembered objects.

alleryn
Space Dragon

#17 Post by alleryn »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:17 pm
alleryn wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:16 pmThe vision sharing does seem to be symmetrical.

The bug seems to be that vision is only granted when fleets move, or something like that. In the save, moving a ship off of the green homeworld exposes vision both of that ship, and of the homeworld itself.
I suspect visibility is shared each turn for what is seen that turn, but not all previously observed and remembered objects.
Yes, this seems correct. I updated the previous post.

Geoff the Medio

#18 Post by Geoff the Medio »

alleryn wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:16 pm.Current visibility does seem to be shared correctly. Data about "known unknowns" (e.g. planets previously explored but not currently visible) is not shared. This feels a little unintuitive but may or may not constitute a bug.
It was probably an oversight to only shared current turn visibility, but I'm actually inclined to make sharing historical data a diplomacy thing... It is also not trivial to do the historical sharing since latest known states of objects are more likely to be inconsistent with multiple empires' able to have last detected them on different turns at different visibility levels. How do you combine info from an empire that saw an object at basic visibility 5 turns ago with info from another empire that saw it at partial or full visibilty 10 turns ago?

alleryn
Space Dragon

#19 Post by alleryn »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:41 pm How do you combine info from an empire that saw an object at basic visibility 5 turns ago with info from another empire that saw it at partial or full visibilty 10 turns ago?
I'm not sure how/why this would be different from how you combine info for a single empire that saw an object at partial or full visibilty 10 turns ago, then saw it with basic visibility 5 turns ago

Geoff the Medio

#20 Post by Geoff the Medio »

alleryn wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:12 pmI'm not sure how/why this would be different from how you combine info for a single empire that saw an object at partial or full visibilty 10 turns ago, then saw it with basic visibility 5 turns ago
That doesn't really ever happen... Empires update their object knowledge on the turn they get it, and don't (individually) track multiple old versions of previously seen objects.

alleryn
Space Dragon

#21 Post by alleryn »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:19 pm
alleryn wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:12 pmI'm not sure how/why this would be different from how you combine info for a single empire that saw an object at partial or full visibilty 10 turns ago, then saw it with basic visibility 5 turns ago
That doesn't really ever happen... Empires update their object knowledge on the turn they get it, and don't (individually) track multiple old versions of previously seen objects.
There still must be some rule about what happens on that 5th turn. (I think) I.e.

Turn 12: Object seen with partial/full visibility.
Turn 13: Object down to no visibility. (Game reports last seen Turn 12 with partial/full visiblity - I guess?)
Turn 17: Object seen with basic visibility. -- Now what happens?
Turn 22: The state we are talking about: partial/full visibility 10 turns ago, basic visibility 5 turns ago. Whatever the state is here should be the same state when two empires with that knowledge are combined. (Or what am i missing? I expect there's something, but this is how i'm thinking of it).