Aggressive comsat does not blockade

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Aggressive comsat does not blockade

#1 Post by Oberlus »

On previous versions (up to 0.4.8 inclusive, I think), building a comsat on each of your systems was useful to blockade passing enemies and trigger combat with the planetary defences, so that you didn't need an armed ship on each system.
Right now (0.4.9 pre-RC1) comsats, as unarmed ships, no longer enforce blockade, and they are good to trigger combat only if the trespassing enemy decides to stop in the system (would it be enough to just have an armed planet to trigger combat with a non-aggressive enemy in that situation?). Thus, if you want to stop (e.g.) enemy scouts, you need armed ships.

1. Are we happy with this behaviour? I don't see any immediate reason to prefer this behaviour or the previous one.

2. So comsats are no longer of any use apart from chaff. Interesting?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Aggressive comsat does not blockade

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Sounds like it's working as it should to me, but various players often seem to have different ideas about that sort of thing than I would.