Feedback on recent UI changes (v0.4.9)

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Feedback on recent UI changes (v0.4.9)

#1 Post by Oberlus »

I've been playing on the multiplayer games for the last few months and I hadn't the chance to see the ongoing work on the UI until recently.

I've spotted:
  • Better/more informative combat logs, particularly the breakdown of initial and lost forces at the start of the log.
  • A circle demarcating the boundaries of galaxy fields such as Ion Storms that shows up when hovering the mouse pointer over them.
I love them! Thank you!

Regarding the circles of field boundaries, could it be possible to make the thick of it not dependent on the size of the field?
For really big fields, it can become rather thick.
(I think this is The Silent One's doing, I'm not sure).

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Feedback on recent UI changes (v0.4.9)

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The circle is a texture that gets scaled up to the size of the field, so to make the border the same thickness regardless of size on screen, it would need to be reimplemented using GL rendering calls.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#3 Post by defaultuser »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:05 am I've been playing on the multiplayer games for the last few months and I hadn't the chance to see the ongoing work on the UI until recently.

A circle demarcating the boundaries of galaxy fields such as Ion Storms that shows up when hovering the mouse pointer over them.
That sounds great, but I don't see it. Was that in the 0.4.9 stable release?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

defaultuser wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:15 pm That sounds great, but I don't see it. Was that in the 0.4.9 stable release?
Nopes. Latest weekly test build has it for sure.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#5 Post by defaultuser »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:21 pm
defaultuser wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:15 pm That sounds great, but I don't see it. Was that in the 0.4.9 stable release?
Nopes. Latest weekly test build has it for sure.
Ok, something to look forward to.

The Silent One
Graphics

#6 Post by The Silent One »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:05 am(I think this is The Silent One's doing, I'm not sure).
Uhm, no ... :? Sounds great though!
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.