AI Colony base travelling the starlanes

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: AI Colony base travelling the starlanes

#46 Post by Oberlus »

labgnome wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:02 pm Perhaps the engine parts could increase speed by a percentage rather than a flat bonus. This was engine parts would only provide bonuses to ships that already have starlane speed.
I like this idea for what it means for immersion: fast hulls that are 50% faster than average hulls become just 25% faster than average hulls when both mount the best engines. I would expect the faster hulls to still be much faster than the others.
However current way is nicely balanced, and that doesn't have to be so easy with percent-based increases. Let's see:

If we make last tier engine to give a +100% speed, we get that a Titanic hull goes from 80 to 160 (as currently), an scattered asteroid hull goes up to 120 (-20 with respect now, that's bad because they are already discarded by experienced players because it's lack of mobility, quite important in multiplayer games), and a solar hull goes to 240 (+40).

In the end, not very cool for gameplay.

And since there is no trouble with engines giving speed to immobile hulls because engines have been excluded from immobile hulls, I would never go that way.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#47 Post by defaultuser »

Back in the day, colonizing solely with ships was a major endeavor. When you found a likely planet, you had to see which planets that could build a colony ship AND had compatible population was reasonably near. Often there wasn't, and you'd need to either wait, or send a colony ship on a long journey.

Also, as the ships took so long to build, you (well I anyway) might forget there was one in work and start another. Or you'd finish one and not remember where it was supposed to go. Maybe send it to the wrong place. I started using a Notepad document to record which colony ships were in build, where, and their targets.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#48 Post by Vezzra »

defaultuser wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:23 am Back in the day, colonizing solely with ships was a major endeavor.
To put it nicely. Personally, I'd use a bit stronger words, like PITA. A PITA that got bigger and more painful the larger your empire grew, for exact the reasons you described... :wink:

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#49 Post by Oberlus »

Vezzra wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:26 pm
defaultuser wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:23 am Back in the day, colonizing solely with ships was a major endeavor.
To put it nicely. Personally, I'd use a bit stronger words, like PITA. A PITA that got bigger and more painful the larger your empire grew, for exact the reasons you described... :wink:
Only with COLONY ships.
And that is why you added colony buildings to be built on outposts (and maybe you added outposts ships at the sqme time).
All that has little to do with immobile ships for in system operation (either colony, outpost or anything else).

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#50 Post by Vezzra »

Oberlus wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:50 pmOnly with COLONY ships.
And that is why you added colony buildings to be built on outposts (and maybe you added outposts ships at the sqme time).
All that has little to do with immobile ships for in system operation (either colony, outpost or anything else).
Yeah, sure, I was only reacting to defaultuser's choice of words, "major endeavor", which sounds like an euphemism considering just how tedious it has been, and I felt compelled to comment on that. :mrgreen:

It certainly wasn't meant as a contribution to the discussion about the Base Hull.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#51 Post by Vezzra »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:21 pmLeads probably to build-shipyard-mostly-everywhere.
That may be, but even if, that particular issue needs to be addressed differently anyway. Because even without the Base Hull, it is beneficial to have shipyards at as many locations as possible, and it should not be possible to do that. It's currently far too easy to build shipyards anywhere you want.
At least triggering combat with monsters is missing from your list.
Same as above. Needs a proper fix, certainly not a reason to keep the Base Hull.
I would find it irritating to do the find-the-nearest-suitable-shipyard--queue-the-ship--find-the-planet-again--rally-the-ship-to-the-planet chore.
Same as above. The concern is valid, but needs to be addressed by better solutions. One being to provide a button "Queue outpost ship on nearest shipyard, set it to move to this planet once built and outpost the planet".
The gold solution would be to allow building outposts using a project/building on supply-connected planets.
Or that. In which case you should also be able to build a colony the same way. No need to force the player to first build the outpost, wait for the construction to finish, then upgrade to colony.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#52 Post by Ophiuchus »

Vezzra wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:16 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:21 pmThe gold solution would be to allow building outposts using a project/building on supply-connected planets.
Or that. In which case you should also be able to build a colony the same way. No need to force the player to first build the outpost, wait for the construction to finish, then upgrade to colony.
Agreed
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!