Testing 4.10

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Testing 4.10

#16 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:36 pm providing better French translations has been on my to-do list for a long time
Ouaz keeps French updated regularly (fr.txt is the only stringtable kept up to date, AFAIK). He is native speaker.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#17 Post by drkosy »

Since I am busy work over the german stringtable I don't do that much playtesting :wink:

But there is one thing I like to have (or just missed). I like to have some optical feedback on the galaxy map showing if a warpgate is present or not. For a shipyard this is true (underlined name) for imperial palace this is true (bold name) so maybe a added symbol (° e.g.) could work. I don't have to do it by myselve each time a warpgate is finished...

I really like the engatement of the experimentors but unfortunally I miss them in every game I play :( Yesterday I did some testing with supertester and omnisight. I started 5 games with different size, shape, natives and without but never got a system that fits to the experimentors outpost (no starlanes connected). Since it seems you got them very often I like to ask which setting you use :)
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#18 Post by Oberlus »

drkosy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:17 pm But there is one thing I like to have (or just missed). I like to have some optical feedback on the galaxy map showing if a warpgate is present or not. For a shipyard this is true (underlined name) for imperial palace this is true (bold name) so maybe a added symbol (° e.g.) could work. I don't have to do it by myselve each time a warpgate is finished...
Worth opening a feature request.

drkosy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:17 pm I really like the engatement of the experimentors but unfortunally I miss them in every game I play :( Yesterday I did some testing with supertester and omnisight. I started 5 games with different size, shape, natives and without but never got a system that fits to the experimentors outpost (no starlanes connected). Since it seems you got them very often I like to ask which setting you use :)
Try cluster/ring/2-arm spiral with at least 30 systems per empire (so 210 systems for 6 AIs and you) and low or medium starlane frequency.
I do the supertester thingy to make sure I'll get the Experimentors. Usually I don't need to reroll the random seed more than three times.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#19 Post by LienRag »

drkosy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:17 pm
But there is one thing I like to have (or just missed). I like to have some optical feedback on the galaxy map showing if a warpgate is present or not. For a shipyard this is true (underlined name) for imperial palace this is true (bold name) so maybe a added symbol (° e.g.) could work. I don't have to do it by myselve each time a warpgate is finished...

Nice idea indeed.
Also, I wasn't able to select "with building of type" in the filters of the Planets panel, did I miss something ?
That could be another way to look for Stargates or Transformers...

drkosy
Space Dragon

#20 Post by drkosy »

Sorry for my late reply but there seems to be Problems with the board and the latest Version of Firefox. I can't post a Reply with FF so I use Edge on my virtuell machine :( That's where that strange upper case words come from and I don't know how to switch that off :shock:
Cool, how can I do that? :)
Try cluster/ring/2-arm spiral with at least 30 systems per empire (so 210 systems for 6 AIs and you) and low or medium starlane frequency.
I do the supertester thingy to make sure I'll get the Experimentors. Usually I don't need to reroll the random seed more than three times.
Thanks! I will try after my recent game is finished :D

At least I observed a bug at planetary defense. If a space Monster is present at an System, all planetary shields are downgraded to Shield 1 (41 strengh). As proof I added two sreenshots. One before the kraken arrives, the other with kraken in System. At the Combat log you see that shields should be far above 41. I can proof that for juggernauts as well.
If you like I can share a save for turn 210 (kraken is in System)
By the way: For me it seems there are much, much more space Monsters travlling the universe than in Version 0.4.9. Those NEST Features spawn Monsters like crazy. Is this intended? (played with different Monster Settings but that doesn't seem to Change the spawning rate)
Attachments
Planetary-Shield-Bug2.jpg
Planetary-Shield-Bug2.jpg (239.65 KiB) Viewed 1139 times
Planetary-Shield-Bug1.jpg
Planetary-Shield-Bug1.jpg (207.97 KiB) Viewed 1139 times

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#21 Post by Oberlus »

drkosy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:32 am
Cool, how can I do that? :)
Go to https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... new/choose.
You'll need a GitHub account, fast to create one.

You could also open an issue (bug) with what you have reported in this post about monsters and planetary shields acting weird, attaching save file, freeorion.log and freeoriond.log. It's quite strange indeed.

drkosy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:32 am For me it seems there are much, much more space Monsters travelling the universe than in Version 0.4.9. Those NEST Features spawn Monsters like crazy. Is this intended? (played with different Monster Settings but that doesn't seem to Change the spawning rate)
AFAIK, nothing changed in the code about monster spawning rate between 0.4.9 and 0.4.10. Random numbers can be quite random and different between games. I once got a monster nest that didn't spawn a single monster for like first 30 turns, and gave only three monsters for the first 50 turns, and in another game I had 15+ monsters in the same time.
This also affects Experimentors outpost: you can get new batches of Bloated Juggernauts every two/three turns or none in ten turns straight.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#22 Post by drkosy »

Random numbers can be quite random and different between games.
Thanks for that information :) Maybe some limit would be nice, something like "with 20 kranken in galaxy no more spawning" :?: But that would only be flavoring because I can just turn monsters to low if it's to much for me :)

drkosy
Space Dragon

#23 Post by drkosy »

Just recognized that plasma cannon and deathray can attack fighers. Is this intended?
I ask because Massdriver and Laser can't do this...

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#24 Post by Ophiuchus »

drkosy wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:29 pm Just recognized that plasma cannon and deathray can attack fighers. Is this intended?
I ask because Massdriver and Laser can't do this...
Shouldnt be possible

Massdriver, laser, plasma, deathray all have the same combatTargets condition. Arc disruptor can attack fighters.

Please post a combat report
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

drkosy
Space Dragon

#25 Post by drkosy »

Don't need save, just watch the .focs:
Plasma Cannon:

Code: Select all

Part
    name = "SR_WEAPON_3_1"
    description = "SR_WEAPON_3_1_DESC"
    class = ShortRange
    damage = 9
    NoDefaultCapacityEffect
    mountableSlotTypes = External
    buildcost = 40 * [[FLEET_UPKEEP_MULTIPLICATOR]] * [[SHIP_PART_COST_MULTIPLIER]]
    buildtime = 3
    tags = [ "PEDIA_PC_DIRECT_WEAPON" ]
    location = OwnedBy empire = Source.Owner
    effectsgroups =
        [[WEAPON_BASE_DEFAULT_EFFECTS(SR_WEAPON_3_1)]]
    icon = "icons/ship_parts/death-ray.png"

#include "shortrange.macros"

#include "/scripting/common/upkeep.macros"
Laser:

Code: Select all

Part
    name = "SR_WEAPON_2_1"
    description = "SR_WEAPON_2_1_DESC"
    class = ShortRange
    damage = 5
    NoDefaultCapacityEffect
    combatTargets = And [
        [[COMBAT_TARGETS_VISIBLE_ENEMY]]
        Or [
           [[COMBAT_TARGETS_NOT_DESTROYED_SHIP]]
           [[COMBAT_TARGETS_PLANET_WITH_DEFENSE]]
        ]
    ]
    mountableSlotTypes = External
    buildcost = 30 * [[FLEET_UPKEEP_MULTIPLICATOR]] * [[SHIP_PART_COST_MULTIPLIER]]
    buildtime = 2
    tags = [ "PEDIA_PC_DIRECT_WEAPON" ]
    location = OwnedBy empire = Source.Owner
    effectsgroups =
        [[WEAPON_BASE_DEFAULT_EFFECTS(SR_WEAPON_2_1)]]
    icon = "icons/ship_parts/laser.png"

#include "shortrange.macros"

#include "/scripting/common/upkeep.macros"
#include "/scripting/ship_parts/targeting.macros"
As you see, for Plasma the combatTargets are missing. That means it could damage all targets.
I observed that once in my recent game but it was quite a while and I don't have a save or screen shot. Maybe I can provide one later on...

Edit: I recongnized that due to my work on a weapon mod...

Edit #2: Just added lines for combatTargets in SR_WEAPON_3_1 and 4_1. The game went weird, because both weapons can't be build any more, showing that ancient pyramid-icon in science screen and beeing removed of all ship desings :oops: Removed that lines and the game went well again :) Don't know whats wrong there...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#26 Post by Oberlus »

drkosy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:51 pm As you see, for Plasma the combatTargets are missing
[...]
Edit: I recongnized that due to my work on a weapon mod...

Edit #2: Just added lines for combatTargets in SR_WEAPON_3_1 and 4_1. The game went weird, because both weapons can't be build any more, showing that ancient pyramid-icon in science screen and beeing removed of all ship desings :oops: Removed that lines and the game went well again :) Don't know whats wrong there...
This is the code for plasma in the repositories (v0.4.10):

https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... 1.focs.txt

There are several changes in the code you pasted here, like the absence of the combat targets and changed icon name (your plasma is using death ray icon...).
So maybe all this weirdness you are experiencing comes from your modding.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#27 Post by Geoff the Medio »

drkosy wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:51 pmEdit #2: Just added lines for combatTargets in SR_WEAPON_3_1 and 4_1. The game went weird, because both weapons can't be build any more, showing that ancient pyramid-icon in science screen and beeing removed of all ship desings :oops: Removed that lines and the game went well again :) Don't know whats wrong there...
You probably broke the parsing when adding the new / old lines. Check the client and server .log files for parsing errors, if they don't appear on the console when starting the client.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#28 Post by drkosy »

This is the code for plasma in the repositories (v0.4.10):
I compiled 0.4.10 out of the repositories from git, so don't know what went wrong, because I didn't change Plasma Cannon and Deathray in my mod (just added Phasor and changed AM-Cannon) :shock: Maybe I just should test the 0.4.10.1 RC :)

It was late yesterday, so I didn't check the logs (they don't pop up at start), usually I do that and it helped me fix a lot of problems with my mod :)

Edit: Guess the problem was missing line 26 #include "/scripting/ship_parts/targeting.macros" in my posted .focs...
Treat this problem as solved :D