Trith without camps

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
defaultuser
Juggernaut

Trith without camps

#1 Post by defaultuser »

I'm playing the 0.4.10 release. I have Trith this time. Well into the game, I realized that I don't have Concentration Camps. I did reload Turn 1 because I made a goof in my starting research lineup. I'm pretty sure I saw CC come up on the original Turn 2. I went back through the Sit Reps and CC did not come as researched. Why does that tech take an extra turn?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Trith without camps

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Not really sure what you're asking... A building did or didn't unlock, or did after a delay? Or there was something weird after reloading vs. starting a new game?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

defaultuser wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:38 amWhy does that tech take an extra turn?
Techs unlocked at start from FOCS effects (like the one to grant CC to Xenophobics or Subterranean Habitation to Abadoni) kick in after one turn. I don't know the exact reason, but it has something to do with how FOCS and the backend communicate. It's the same that causes the effects of (most?) techs researched on turn X to kick in on turn X+1, like weapons upgrades.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#4 Post by Ophiuchus »

defaultuser wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:38 am I'm playing the 0.4.10 release. I have Trith this time. Well into the game, I realized that I don't have Concentration Camps. I did reload Turn 1 because I made a goof in my starting research lineup. I'm pretty sure I saw CC come up on the original Turn 2. I went back through the Sit Reps and CC did not come as researched. Why does that tech take an extra turn?
Once this was different, but it made the timing of effects convoluted (e.g. one small thing - it was impossible to give the user a sitrep at the time you got an effect). We dumbed that down and removed a lot of complexity by that (in freeorion 0.4.9 i think).

Now if you get a tech, you will consistently see the effects one turn later and get a more correct preview of those. You now also get a sitrep which informs you that weapons in supply are upgraded and will do extra damage in the next combat those encounter.

The concentration camps are given to your empire in turn 1 by an effect coming from your Trith population. So those are available in turn 2.

So technically speaking - for starting effects what is missing is a feature to allow effects happen in turn 0. In that case you would have those tech Oberlus describes already available in turn 1.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#5 Post by defaultuser »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:48 am Not really sure what you're asking... A building did or didn't unlock, or did after a delay? Or there was something weird after reloading vs. starting a new game?
Deep into the game it was not unlocked . I looked at the Sit Rep on Turn 2 and there was nothing to indicate that it had been unlocked. As noted I reloaded the Turn 1 autosave a few turns into the game when I realized I had made an error in my research lineup. I think I remember seeing the CC unlock message the first time through, but that's not available of course.

I had to research the tech to be able to use it.

When I get a chance, I will see if that is repeatable.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#6 Post by defaultuser »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:55 pm The concentration camps are given to your empire in turn 1 by an effect coming from your Trith population. So those are available in turn 2.
Which didn't seem to happen after the reload. That's why I brought this up.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#7 Post by defaultuser »

It seems to be repeatable. I started a new game with Trith. On Turn 2, Camps were researched and showed on the Sit Rep. On Turn 3, I loaded the save file from Turn 1. This time no message on the Sit Rep. See screen grabs below.
trith1.jpg
trith1.jpg (257.36 KiB) Viewed 4018 times
trith2.jpg
trith2.jpg (245.9 KiB) Viewed 4018 times

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#8 Post by Ophiuchus »

yes, can reproduce. very weird. this should definitly get fixed in 0.4.10.1

please open an issue on github https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/issues

edit:
and if you need the camps in your game you can edit the SP_TRITH.focs.txt to give you the tech on every turn.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!