Testing Government and Influence

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Weekly Release Notes / Up-to-date Test Snap

#196 Post by LienRag »

LienRag wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:05 am
Ophiuchus wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:41 pm news
  • content: owning a Scrying Sphere building gives an empire 1 extra social policy slot (geoff)
Very good idea !
I had in mind a quite complex way of making Scrying Spheres useful again but this is way better.
I've got a Scrying Sphere (in the 16th game) but I didn't get my Social Slot ?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#197 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:59 am I've got a Scrying Sphere (in the 16th game) but I didn't get my Social Slot ?
the effect was added in april and should be in the game. you need to have a capital for it to work. else i dont see a reason why it shouldnt work. (else mark the turn for later analysis)
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#198 Post by LienRag »

I don't have the tech, though.
The planet was gifted to me.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#199 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:39 am I don't have the tech, though.
Tech should not matter AFAICS. The effect is on the building and not gated by the tech.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#200 Post by Ophiuchus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:10 am
LienRag wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:39 am I don't have the tech, though.
Tech should not matter AFAICS. The effect is on the building and not gated by the tech.
Maybe some weirdness related to changing owner by gifting? Maybe the building is still owned by the previous owner? Can you dump the building stats from the object menu please (I guess the owner should be part of that)?
Anyway please open a separate topic for that or better, an issue on git hub.

This topic is for informing people of new snap releases.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#201 Post by Geoff the Medio »

LienRag wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:59 amI've got a Scrying Sphere (in the 16th game) but I didn't get my Social Slot ?
I connected to look, but didn't see one owned by you in the objects list...

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#202 Post by LienRag »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:11 am
LienRag wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:59 amI've got a Scrying Sphere (in the 16th game) but I didn't get my Social Slot ?
I connected to look, but didn't see one owned by you in the objects list...
Stupid me, I saw the icon on the planet - Nordia - but it was in construction, not finished...

(sorry Ophiuchus, last post about this topic)

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#203 Post by LienRag »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:19 am
LienRag wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:17 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:15 pm [*]content: Military Command provides a 2nd slot after killing 5 ships (geoff)
Interesting idea. Very prone to farming though (I build chaff, you build chaff, we destroy it mutually and only then we declare peace).
If you want to go to that much effort to destroy 5 ships, then I guess you earned it? It's probably even fine in-universe: "Hey ally, wanna use eachother's old junk ship hulls for some target practice?" ... "Sure!"
Balance-wise, you may be right, but gameplay-wise, it's both tedious and probably a no-brainer.

Something similar after killing five (armed) monsters would be more interesting (and of course more difficult, also viable only in Galaxies which have monsters).

Geoff the Medio

#204 Post by Geoff the Medio »

LienRag wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:00 pmSomething similar after killing five (armed) monsters would be more interesting
Monsters count as ships for purposes of this requirement...

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Testing Government and Influence

#205 Post by wobbly »

There's a bit of an awkward exploit to get around paying for "allied repair policy" in that you can use gifting to repair ships then gift back. Not sure if/how much of a problem that is.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#206 Post by wobbly »

wobbly wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:15 am There's a bit of an awkward exploit to get around paying for "allied repair policy" in that you can use gifting to repair ships then gift back. Not sure if/how much of a problem that is.
2 possible fixes:

1. Revert it to not needing a policy. You can exploit it anyway

2. Make it supercheap. It's too expensive anyway. (my preferene)

Geoff the Medio

#207 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I also vaguely plan to make gifting cost IP. This is somewhat similar to issues with tech trading in many games, where it's effectively a bonus for both involved empires at effectively no cost, which leads to a bunch of balance issues with it.

Gifting a species an empire doesn't have would cost more.

Not sure if it's worth worrying about the oft-mentioned exploit of temporarily going to war to do the exchange without the fees...

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#208 Post by LienRag »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:49 am I also vaguely plan to make gifting cost IP.
Very good idea !

Geoff the Medio wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:49 am Not sure if it's worth worrying about the oft-mentioned exploit of temporarily going to war to do the exchange without the fees...
I don't understand ? Going to war prevents from making exchanges of ships afaik ?
Or do you mean mutual invasion ? There is a Stability cost in doing that.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#209 Post by LienRag »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:06 pm
LienRag wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:00 pmSomething similar after killing five (armed) monsters would be more interesting
Monsters count as ships for purposes of this requirement...
Of course but they're harder to kill than chaff. And probably a bit funnier, as one has to chase them.

It's also a bonus for being first to kill Sentries when there aren't enough Wandering Monsters.

I guess most of the time, except in situations where a player will have cheap monsters flying around to get easy kills, with your proposed Policy the process will be mutual killing of empty small hulls...

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#210 Post by wobbly »

I've noticed another issue with influence in that it tends to lead to a bit more micro with fiddling with your focuses. It hasn't been too bad so far, but it is there and can be annoying with a lot of planets to go through. The trouble is that unlike PP and RP you probably want your IP generation to sit near an equilibrium point. When it drops into negative you fiddle to bring it into positive. If it grows larger you can get more PP/RP switching focuses so you fiddle again etc. etc.