Testing Government and Influence

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Testing Government and Influence

#121 Post by Geoff the Medio »

drkosy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:53 amMost of the influence boosting policies aren't viable for me: I played gysache in a universe with a lot of empty space an monster guarded systems at my starting point. So centralisation would have killed my supply-support and actually would have cost more influence that it would have brought. Environmentalism is to late in the game, as I reached terraforming I had enough influence. Diversity is hard to reach because you have to catch some natives with means -1 IP for their homeworld.
Could add a low-cost or free to adopt policy that gives a small boost to capital influence, but not much else. Would be useful for early game influence but fall off by the midgame. Similar policies for research, industry, or stockpiling might also work...

human2
Pupating Mass

#122 Post by human2 »

I played a quick game with 50 systems and have a few more comments.

Exobots use more infrastructure than they are worth. I no longer use them and if I take over a planet with them I have to evacuate them.

My humans end up all focused on influence.

I didn't know outposts use infrastructure because it shows a 0 in the planet view. I won a game but kept playing to try things out. I tried to see if I could get influence above 0. I thought if I improved supply by building outposts that would do it, but each outpost ended up making it decrease.

I keep mixing up "infrastructure" and "influence". I'm not sure which term is correct.

I tried to use government policies but when I add one, the influence points goes so negative I have no idea what they are suppose to even do.

I couldn't set government policies after the game was ended.

Abandoned outposts can't be resettled or invaded.

There's a bug in the research screen that when you click on a research focus then click on a tech the research focus has to be clicked twice to hide it again.

Geoff the Medio

#123 Post by Geoff the Medio »

human2 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:25 amI keep mixing up "infrastructure" and "influence". I'm not sure which term is correct.
For what you're discussing, probably only "influence" applies.
I tried to see if I could get influence above 0. I thought if I improved supply by building outposts that would do it, but each outpost ended up making it decrease.
Supply networks do not generate influence (at least directly).
I tried to use government policies but when I add one, the influence points goes so negative I have no idea what they are suppose to even do.
What does "goes so negative" mean? Are you referring to just the cost to adopt a policy, or reduced influence generation over multiple turns after a policy is adopted?
Not sure what "the game was ended" means or how one would do anything after ending a game...
Could you clarify what you mean by "abandoned outposts"?
There's a bug in the research screen that when you click on a research focus then click on a tech the research focus has to be clicked twice to hide it again.
Yes, it's been mentioned in a few threads and there is a github bug about it.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#124 Post by Ophiuchus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:34 am [quote=human2 post_id=106082 time=1620102350 user_id=72845
This one I can clarify: if you abandon an outpost (by building the "abandon outpost" building), it "gets removed". So you should be able to outpost/colonize using a outpost/colony ship. (If not, it is a bug)
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#125 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:34 am
Not sure what "the game was ended" means or how one would do anything after ending a game...
I guess he means after the "victory" sitrep.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#126 Post by Oberlus »

What does "goes so negative" mean? Are you referring to just the cost to adopt a policy, or reduced influence generation over multiple turns after a policy is adopted?
I'm not sure, but since you cannot adopt a policy when you don't have enough IP, for the influence stockpile to go negative it should be the latter: it goes negative over multiple turns after adoption.

human2
Pupating Mass

#127 Post by human2 »

I tried to see if I could get influence above 0. I thought if I improved supply by building outposts that would do it, but each outpost ended up making it decrease.
Supply networks do not generate influence (at least directly).
A lot of negative IP was because of weak capital supply. I don't really understand supply very well. I'm not sure if it's simply distance from the capital, or if it can be improved by building space elevators. I guess that's why I was experimenting, to see if I could negate this penalty.
Ok, I just tried it and I think I know how I got this all wrong. I thought the cost for a policy was taken every turn but it looks like it's only taken once. This makes it much more affordable and probably usable.
By "end" I meant after a victory sitrep.
I didn't try using an outpost. I assumed I could've invaded it or scrapped the "abandoned outpost" building to start over. I guess I thought this because the planet name was underlined because it had a shipyard and it made me think it was like an inhabited planet, even though the text was white. I just tried it and yes, I can start over with outpost ships.

It's really annoying that if a planet doesn't have 5 stability that production doesn't increase at all. Instead of being 0, I think the rate that production increases should just be slowed down.

Geoff the Medio

#128 Post by Geoff the Medio »

human2 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:26 pm It's really annoying that if a planet doesn't have 5 stability that production doesn't increase at all. Instead of being 0, I think the rate that production increases should just be slowed down.
I could add a Colonial Bootstrapping economic policy that boosts resource meter growth independent of stability.
human2 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:26 pm By "end" I meant after a victory sitrep.
I don't think there is anything special that restricts policy manipulations after a victory sitrep is generated...
human2 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:26 pm Ok, I just tried it and I think I know how I got this all wrong. I thought the cost for a policy was taken every turn but it looks like it's only taken once. This makes it much more affordable and probably usable.
Would a different label in the description help? Ican't check now but I think it says "Cost to Adopt"... Should it be clearer in that text that it is nit a recurring cost once adopted?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#129 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:51 pm
human2 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:26 pm It's really annoying that if a planet doesn't have 5 stability that production doesn't increase at all. Instead of being 0, I think the rate that production increases should just be slowed down.
I could add a Colonial Bootstrapping economic policy that boosts resource meter growth independent of stability.
If a planet has 0<stability<5, meters will grow, just slower:
https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... macros#L10

I think stability modifiers need a review and rebalance, so that it is not so easy to incur into stabilities under 0. Xenophobics are now rather crippled when nearby other species.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#130 Post by wobbly »

Played a little using the default universe generation settings and monsters have become much nastier relative to the player. With the player growing much slower then in previous versions, they can get out of control very quickly. I had a drone factory spawn on a kraken's nest near my homeworld. I ended up with them all over the place and it became tedious having to dodge them all the time. Either the player progress needs to be sped up a bit, or monster spawns slowed down.

o01eg
Programmer

#131 Post by o01eg »

wobbly wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:38 pm Played a little using the default universe generation settings and monsters have become much nastier relative to the player. With the player growing much slower then in previous versions, they can get out of control very quickly. I had a drone factory spawn on a kraken's nest near my homeworld. I ended up with them all over the place and it became tedious having to dodge them all the time. Either the player progress needs to be sped up a bit, or monster spawns slowed down.
Sounds nice for Tower Defense mode )
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#132 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:38 pm Either the player progress needs to be sped up a bit, or monster spawns slowed down.
As a starter I think we should lower default research and build costs.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#133 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:32 am
wobbly wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:38 pm Either the player progress needs to be sped up a bit, or monster spawns slowed down.
As a starter I think we should lower default research and build costs.
Current default cost factors are 2.0 for research and 1.0 for production. I think research has lost a lot of utility with influence in play so I am trying both factors set to 0.5 (so x2 to production and x4 to research).

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#134 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:22 am -Giving some species, including Fulver, Sly, and Laefna, +1 social policy slot
Imperial Palace should give one social slot per default.
Species trait for policy slots could be like this:
- Bad: -1 slot.
- Good: +1 slot.
- Great: +2 slots.
No Ultimate level for this trait.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#135 Post by Oberlus »

+5 stability for the preferred focus and -5 for the disliked ones seems excesive. For newly acquired species that forces you to stick to the preferred focus or never reach colonization threshold (e.g. Kobuntura, good influence, stick to stability 0 with influence focus, or to stability 2 if connected to capital). Maybe -2 for disliked foci.