FreeOrion 0.4.10.1 - Long turn data transfer times during internet games

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
MindState
Space Krill

FreeOrion 0.4.10.1 - Long turn data transfer times during internet games

#1 Post by MindState »

Recently I hosted FreeOrion 0.4.10.1 internet games with two other human players; we're all newbies to the game.

Well before turn 100, we noticed that it took minutes (I regret we didn't time it, but that was what the other players noted) for the server to transmit turn data to the clients. My system monitor seemed to indicate that FreeOrion was sending at ~200 KB/s. (A side effect was that the extended transmission also increased latency for all users on the my LAN, which naturally drew complaints and ultimately forced us to end the game) The size of the final (turn 140) XML saved game file was ~1.7 MB (with with 4 AIs, 350 systems, and low monster and native frequency.)

Multiple games were tried before the one referenced above. We started with huge maps, number of AIs, etc., and gradually parred down the game settings in attempt to delay the onset of the acute turn data transmission times that were experienced.

I do not know if that transmission speed is typical of FreeOrion internet games. I am willing to accept that the low transmission speed and/or resulting LAN latency may be due to some weird combination of hardware, OS, and LAN, etc., rather than FreeOrion.

The duration and throughput of the server transmission suggests the server was sending more than 1.7 MB to each client. As the saved game file contains compressed data, I venture to guess that turn data is transmitted uncompressed. If that is the case, it may be beneficial for FreeOrion to compress before transmitting, or have a game option to do so.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: FreeOrion 0.4.10.1 - Long turn data transfer times during internet games

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If you notice something like this happening, it would be helpful to include client and server log files from when it happens and a save that reproduces the issue when reporting it...

MindState
Space Krill

Re: FreeOrion 0.4.10.1 - Long turn data transfer times during internet games

#3 Post by MindState »

Apologies for the delay. The attached archive contains the saved game, and the logs for about three turns of play from that save.
Attachments
freeorion_logs.tar.gz
(1.84 MiB) Downloaded 75 times