A (Mostly) Positive Feedback Report

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
baryon
Space Krill

A (Mostly) Positive Feedback Report

#1 Post by baryon »

Enjoyed my first session of FreeOrion tonight. v0.4.10.1 [build 2020-11-21.960103b] CMake. Built effortlessly in Arch from the AUR package. I enjoyed my play time, which whizzed by all too quickly. Found the interface intuitive enough, though as a passionate MOO1 lover (and 1oom player), the philosophical differences took a bit to wrap my head around. Got owned rather badly by the AI. Looking forward to another session.

The only issue I encountered was that when trying to set the rally-point on new ships, that did not seem to work. The ships stayed where they were produced. Is there some intricacy to it that I missed? There's a lot more to this game than my early muddlings uncovered yet.

Anyhow, mostly just wanted to drop by and leave my thanks and praise. Cheers!

Edit: In some idle poking around, I unearthed two other rough edges.
  • From the main menu, click "Single Player", then "Cancel". A harmless(?) dialogue pops up saying "The connection to the server has been lost."
  • From the main menu, under "Pedia", there are many entries of the form [Game - something] that are devoid of content. The [Test - Textures] entry at the end does function.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: A (Mostly) Positive Feedback Report

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, AI can be ruthless when you don't know what to expect. It's somehow similar to MOO2: if you have just enough strength to defend, the AI will target some other empire, so the trick is on not overexpanding without also building enough warships.
baryon wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:38 am The only issue I encountered was that when trying to set the rally-point on new ships, that did not seem to work. The ships stayed where they were produced. Is there some intricacy to it that I missed?`
What I do is:
- In galaxy map, select the destination system, named X.
- In the production queue, right-click on the ship and select "Rally to X".
It always works for me: the turn the ship is finished, it will show the dotted line to its destination.

When you select any system in the map, the production items that are rallied to that system will show it in the production queue. It is pending to have a way to query where a ship is rallied to, when you don't remember the destination system you set up earlier (currently you can select systems until you find the right one).

The "[Game - something]" Pedia pages have content only during a game. It's information on the current galaxy, empires, game rules, etc. that can vary between games.
The "disconnected from server" happens to me only on Windows, but it causes no harm (the server is always there for you when you try to start a new game), so no workaround needed. I guess someone will get to it once other more pressing issues are solved.