Planet colonization/outpost limit? (New playtester)

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
darkkmage
Krill Swarm

Planet colonization/outpost limit? (New playtester)

#1 Post by darkkmage »

I'm on a rather long game/large map, and I seem to be hitting a planet limit of 50. I am no longer able to colonize, place an outpost, or even invade planets with troops. Is this a game feature, or a flaw/bug? Is there some game concept I missed here? I've been scouring the pedia to figure out what's going on. I realize 50 is a lot of planets and I may be testing the game's limits, but I've enjoyed it so far.

Orion version: v0.4.10.1

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Planet colonization/outpost limit? (New playtester)

#2 Post by Oberlus »

There is no planet limit in any version of FreeOrion. What you describe is rather weird.

A screenshot of your current game with a colony ship or outpost in a system with free planets and the side planet panel open to check that the colonize/outpost buttons do not appear would be nice. Also a save file.

darkkmage
Krill Swarm

#3 Post by darkkmage »

Screenshot of invasion not being an option (I can attach more examples if that helps)...
Screenshot 2021-05-05 124124.png
Screenshot 2021-05-05 124124.png (2.43 MiB) Viewed 2846 times

darkkmage
Krill Swarm

#4 Post by darkkmage »

And when I went back in today to try and get examples of not being able to place outposts/colonies...it was working again. Maybe it was a ghost in the system (unlikely) maybe it was operator error (more likely). Either way I feel a bit sheepish. Invasion still doesn't work, maybe I'm just missing a game concept here--I have invaded many other planets so I'm not sure what's up.

darkkmage
Krill Swarm

#5 Post by darkkmage »

Also, I'm not sure how to upload a save file, it says those aren't supported as attachments in the forum...do you just use a third party file hosting site (e.g. Google Drive)?

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#6 Post by defaultuser »

In the image posted, you can't invade because planetary defenses are up. The only warship I see on that is some sort of tame monster, but it's set to Hide rather than System Control, which is why defenses haven't been knocked down.

darkkmage
Krill Swarm

#7 Post by darkkmage »

Ah, my bad. That was totally it. I didn't realize I had it set to hide. I've checked out the other systems too and was able to invade now. My apologies, case closed!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

darkkmage wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:58 pm Also, I'm not sure how to upload a save file, it says those aren't supported as attachments in the forum...do you just use a third party file hosting site (e.g. Google Drive)?
Zip the .sav file before attaching. As long as it's not too big, it should work.

darkkmage
Krill Swarm

#9 Post by darkkmage »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:29 am
darkkmage wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:58 pm Also, I'm not sure how to upload a save file, it says those aren't supported as attachments in the forum...do you just use a third party file hosting site (e.g. Google Drive)?
Zip the .sav file before attaching. As long as it's not too big, it should work.
@Geoff the Medio, I think we've more or less concluded what the issue was here, but for sake of satisfying curiosity (if any remains), here's the save file.
save-20210504_210521.zip
(2.56 MiB) Downloaded 56 times