(Newbie) Limited production options at start.

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
chomwitt
Space Floater

(Newbie) Limited production options at start.

#1 Post by chomwitt »

Hello.
I compiled 4.10.1 in my Debian PC.

In my first play i dont understand:
Why in my production options i have only Ships (Outpost Base,Comsat)
and Buildings(Evacuation system) and Stockpile transfer.
And i choosed Outpost but reading it's popup explanation it seems usable only in the system its is produced .But my system has boths its planets with populations. So i am double troubled about its applicability and its usability.
Also the big explanation of Stockpile transfer doestn make any sense.
------------------------------------------------
FreeOrion version : v0.4.10.1 HEAD
CPU: Quad Core Intel Core i7-4790
GPU: Radeon RX 570 Series

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: (Newbie) Limited production options at start.

#2 Post by LienRag »

chomwitt wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:24 pm Hello.
I compiled 4.10.1 in my Debian PC.

In my first play i dont understand:
Why in my production options i have only Ships (Outpost Base,Comsat)
and Buildings(Evacuation system) and Stockpile transfer.
At the beginning you don't have most of the Techs that allow building everything else.
You normally have a Shipyard and a Drydock on your starting planet though, that should allow you to build Outpost Ships (not only bases) and Colony Ships, and scouts too ?

Ships can travel outside of your starting planet, while Bases can't.

If you don't have the possibility to build Scouts and Outpost/Colony Ships, then something seems wrong.

Your phrase "my system has both its planets with population" is a bit odd, starting systems may have more than one planet but normally only your starting planet has population on it.

Would you have a screenshot ?

Note that if you're mentioning another planet than your starting one, and that in your starting planet (a.k.a Homeworld) you can build scouts and ships, then it's normal.
chomwitt wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:24 pm Also the big explanation of Stockpile transfer doestn make any sense.
Yep ! Hard agree.

chomwitt
Space Floater

#3 Post by chomwitt »

It could be a bug. I'll try to reproduce. Now that i closed and opened the save game i see that i can build scouts , colony ship etc.

Also , indeed i had 2 planets initially but i colonized the unhabitated one.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by wobbly »

My guess is you had the wrong planet selected and tried to build at the planet without the shipyard.

chomwitt
Space Floater

#5 Post by chomwitt »

Yes , thats must have happened. I tried it again. Colonizing the other planet i must have accidentaly selected it and checked it's production queue.

So case closed i guess. Thanks for the help !

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

chomwitt wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:24 ami must have accidentaly selected it and checked it's production queue.
I think you already got it, but just in case:
There is a single production queue for all your planets.
What changes when you select one planet or another is the items available for production at that planet.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If it is an issue with what planet is selected, note that the title of the producible items list indicates for which production location is it showing available items...
production screen with arrow pointing to production location indication on the producible items list title bar
production screen with arrow pointing to production location indication on the producible items list title bar
production location.png (706.69 KiB) Viewed 2917 times

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#8 Post by defaultuser »

There's lots to learn when you start. I never use the initial colony ship in the starting system. If you have a colonizable planet (on turn 1 that means Good, or the same type as the Home planet) then I would start building an outpost base for it. Others likely will disagree with me.

If that planet wasn't a Good or Adequate (you'll need to research Planetary Ecology for that) then your colony is going to die.

chomwitt
Space Floater

#9 Post by chomwitt »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:17 am If it is an issue with what planet is selected, note that the title of the producible items list indicates for which production location is it showing available items...production location.png
Usefull tip. I changed the planet names to stand out even more.

chomwitt
Space Floater

#10 Post by chomwitt »

defaultuser wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:59 pm There's lots to learn when you start. I never use the initial colony ship in the starting system. If you have a colonizable planet (on turn 1 that means Good, or the same type as the Home planet) then I would start building an outpost base for it. Others likely will disagree with me.

If that planet wasn't a Good or Adequate (you'll need to research Planetary Ecology for that) then your colony is going to die.
I colonized Sinko a I at first turn without too much thinking.
But restarting i see :
And i wonder what is the meaning:
  • of the red circle
    and the two number (1.0/-3.0)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#11 Post by Geoff the Medio »

chomwitt wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:22 amAnd i wonder what is the meaning:
  • of the red circle
Mouse over the red circle and read the tooltip.

The 1.0 indicates what initial population a colony placed on the planet would have given your available colony ships. The -3.0 indicates what the target or stable population of the planet would be, toward which the current population moves each turn. You could colonize, but it would die off and become a zero population outpost after a few turns.

chomwitt
Space Floater

#12 Post by chomwitt »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:50 am
chomwitt wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:22 amAnd i wonder what is the meaning:
  • of the red circle
Mouse over the red circle and read the tooltip.

The 1.0 indicates what initial population a colony placed on the planet would have given your available colony ships. The -3.0 indicates what the target or stable population of the planet would be, toward which the current population moves each turn. You could colonize, but it would die off and become a zero population outpost after a few turns.
I missed that popup.
So 1.0 equals the max pop capacity of one my colony ships , so it can be changed ?
Also the 'target' (stable?) population as explained to me in other thread is the current max population. So could that be -3?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#13 Post by Oberlus »

chomwitt wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:25 am So 1.0 equals the max pop capacity of one my colony ships , so it can be changed ?
Also the 'target' (stable?) population as explained to me in other thread is the current max population. So could that be -3?
Target and Maximum are the same here (actually one could consider "maximum" to be the max value you could get if you maximise all possible modifiers, boosts, bonus, whatever, while "target" only refers to current maximum for what the modifiers you already have in effect).

The 1.0/-3.0 (being it Population/Target Population) means that upon colonization you will have Population=1, that will slowly change towards TargetPopulation=-3, that is, they will die miserably.

As a rule of thumb, if you see red numbers (instead of green), that means problems.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#14 Post by LienRag »

Of course population will never reach -3.
When it reaches 0, the settlement will revert to an outpost.
If you set your homeworld to growth, it should add a population bonus to same-species planet population, so it may bring this -3 to a positive level (which won't happen if initial target population is -9).
That's why negative numbers have a value rather than just "zero" : it tells you how much population bonus you need to be able to colonize.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#15 Post by defaultuser »

Under the new rules, that planet would be -3.0? I suspect that my suggestion for Planetary Ecology wouldn't help unless that's changed too.