(Newbie) A small UI annoyance

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
chomwitt
Space Floater

(Newbie) A small UI annoyance

#1 Post by chomwitt »

I've made progress! .I have two outposts with zero industy and Hint #19 suggested to me '
a colony can be established on an outpost by constructing a colony building'
.. so i wish that industry would increase with the a right tech in the future.

Also i'd like to suggest a change in UI to make some info windows adjustable to content.

Also i've learned the hard way that ships need fuel and now a ship of mine is stranded in a far far and hostile area with erratic species blocking my way back home , and having to beg each turn for little fuel to fill my tanks ...

So shouldnt that mediocre captain send a message to my spy network before that unfortunate event ?
------------------------------------------------
FreeOrion version : v0.4.10.1 HEAD
CPU: Quad Core Intel Core i7-4790
GPU: Radeon RX 570 Series

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: (Newbie) A small UI annoyance

#2 Post by Oberlus »

chomwitt wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:03 pm Also i'd like to suggest a change in UI to make some info windows adjustable to content.
What change would you like to suggest?
It's not obvious to me from the screenshot.

chomwitt wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:03 pm So shouldnt that mediocre captain send a message to my spy network before that unfortunate event ?
What do you mean? That each ship that you send outside of your supply creates a sitrep the turn before they are going to not have enough fuel to make the way back?
If that is what you suggest, I don't think it is necessary. Fuel is shown in the ship, and once you know fuel is a thing, you can easily know when you are sending a ship too far to be able to come back.

chomwitt
Space Floater

#3 Post by chomwitt »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:20 pm
What change would you like to suggest?
It's not obvious to me from the screenshot.

What do you mean? That each ship that you send outside of your supply creates a sitrep the turn before they are going to not have enough fuel to make the way back?
If that is what you suggest, I don't think it is necessary. Fuel is shown in the ship, and once you know fuel is a thing, you can easily know when you are sending a ship too far to be able to come back.
You have a window 4x in length for x length content hiding more screen that is needed.

Well.. you are right partly. Because as a new player i new from the start that fuel exists but in some early tests moves it seemed not changing so i started venturing further and further..
------------------------------------------------
FreeOrion version : v0.4.10.1 HEAD
CPU: Quad Core Intel Core i7-4790
GPU: Radeon RX 570 Series

defaultuser
Juggernaut

#4 Post by defaultuser »

Fuel supply doesn't change while you're on the supply lines, the ship is always full. Once you get off the colored lines, the ship has to use its reserves. One way to rescue the ship is to extend supply lines out to it, like researching Orbital Construction. But mainly keep all ships except scouts on supply unless you have a target you know they can reach, like a system intended for colony or outpost.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by wobbly »

Fuel is very confusing at 1st because the 1st jump out of supply is free. Usually you learn to be aware of fuel by messing up. Once you loss ships that are stranded you tend to keep better track.

My general rule is to always keep enough to be able to make it back to supply.