Managing which units are in a fleet.

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
truepurple
Space Kraken

Managing which units are in a fleet.

#1 Post by truepurple »

Stumbling around I figured out some of the mechanisms for fleet management, but they need more...

For example. Clicking a unit, holding down ctrl and clicking a second unit allows you to merge your fleets. But the only option is to merge all the fleets in the system.
1. If it's going to merge all the ships then why even bother waiting till I've selected two or more units, why not have a "merge all ships in system" button?

2. If I've selected specific ships, obviously I want to merge those ships and only those ships, why is there no such option?

As it is now, I got to select two or more, merge all of them then split off the ones I didn't want in by dragging those ships one by one onto the new fleet bar.

If I want two fleets of not the same type of ship, then it gets really complicated/difficult.

Also please add hotkeys that can do various things, or tell us what these hot keys are in game. One way I've seen hotkeys communicated is by underlining a letter in the name of the command from a menu. Then you know if you hold down X key and press that letter, you get that command.

defaultuser
Juggernaut

Re: Managing which units are in a fleet.

#2 Post by defaultuser »

You can combine individual fleets. You can drag one fleet to another.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by LienRag »

truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:04 am 4.10

Also please add hotkeys that can do various things, or tell us what these hot keys are in game. One way I've seen hotkeys communicated is by underlining a letter in the name of the command from a menu. Then you know if you hold down X key and press that letter, you get that command.
That, indeed, would be an improvement.
There are some like ctrl+P but we probably could have more.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

There is a hotkeys options tab that lists all the defined hotkey commands. In general, a hotkey key combination doesn't need to correspond to the word, in any particular language if present at all, that appears on a button in the GUI, though, so underlining in general isn't a very effective way to communicate what key combination is assigned. That they are also configurable makes that difficult to even set up.
keyboard shortcut configuration menu
keyboard shortcut configuration menu
hotkeys menu.png (347.84 KiB) Viewed 2173 times
truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:04 am1. If it's going to merge all the ships then why even bother waiting till I've selected two or more units, why not have a "merge all ships in system" button?
It doesn't, it does.
merge system ships into fleet popup menu command
merge system ships into fleet popup menu command
merge system fleets popup command.png (135.47 KiB) Viewed 2173 times

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

truepurple wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:04 am why not have a "merge all ships in system" button?
You have that and others. Right click on a fleet or ship in the fleet window.
2. If I've selected specific ships, obviously I want to merge those ships and only those ships, why is there no such option?
Drag selected ships to "new fleet", or an existing fleet, or another ship, and it will form a new fleet.
There are plenty of options. Try things out by yourself, best way to learn.