Please put experimental in Flatpack.

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
truepurple
Space Kraken

Please put experimental in Flatpack.

#1 Post by truepurple »

Snap is generally not trusted. Is it that much harder to package for Flat-pack than it is for Snap? Please, if you don't put experimental in Flat-pack I can't try it. Well you could also just directly put latest, but I guess that's more work?

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Please put experimental in Flatpack.

#2 Post by LienRag »

Good idea, but Snaps are produced by Ophiuchus of his own volition, and I don't know if he's knowledgeable about/interested in/has enough time for Flatpaks.

Ditto for o01eg and his PPA, AFAIK.

truepurple
Space Kraken

Re: Please put experimental in Flat-pack.

#3 Post by truepurple »

But if Flat-pack is just as easy as Snap to package for, then all you need to do is package for Flat-pack instead of Snap. No extrra time used. And as far as I can tell Flat-pack is at least as good as Snap minus the security issues so there should be no problem for anyone if it was just a complete substitute.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by LienRag »

Indeed, unpaid volunteers should do what pleases you rather than what pleases them, so many problems would be solved that way...
If only more people could see through your eyes !

truepurple
Space Kraken

#5 Post by truepurple »

LienRag wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:23 pm Indeed, unpaid volunteers should do what pleases you rather than what pleases them, so many problems would be solved that way...
If only more people could see through your eyes !
Hey, how come your being so nasty all of a sudden? Your insulting sarcasm is extremely disingenous. As I said, theoretically no extra time would be used, and no one would miss Snap, thus we are talking about a win win situation all around, a far cry from your implications of my demanding peoples time for my own (and only mine) personal gratification or whatever shit is meant by this.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#6 Post by Ophiuchus »

truepurple wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:21 pm But if Flat-pack is just as easy as Snap to package for, ...
Try contacting the flatpak maintainer and tell them they should do that. They are not on the forums.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

truepurple
Space Kraken

#7 Post by truepurple »

Ophiuchus wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:08 pm
truepurple wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:21 pm But if Flat-pack is just as easy as Snap to package for, ...
Try contacting the flatpak maintainer and tell them they should do that. They are not on the forums.
OK, but who are they, like names? And if the issue is not wasting peoples time, wouldn't it be better just to have the person who maintains Snap package updating switch to Flat-pack? Then the distribution of work remains the same and no extra work is created.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#8 Post by Ophiuchus »

truepurple wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:16 pm OK, but who are they, like names?
I guess they have names. Should be visible somewhere on flathub I guess?
truepurple wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:16 pm And if the issue is not wasting peoples time, wouldn't it be better just to have the person who maintains Snap package updating switch to Flat-pack?
I am that person and I am choosing... tadam... the workflow/setup which is working for me. :lol:
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

truepurple
Space Kraken

#9 Post by truepurple »

Well since someone is already putting the latest released version in flat-pack, maybe you could save yourself some labor and not release in Snap for that.