A third cycling list

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
truepurple
Space Kraken

A third cycling list

#1 Post by truepurple »

My other connected idea meant to work with this one for considerably more efficient empire management. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12111&p=107757#p107757

. . . First, the problem this will greatly fix. A problem that is at the core of game-play. How to manage a increasingly large nation, the necessary production etc.
At stake, the amount of time players have to waste messing with the UI just to set their game decisions, a great deal of benefit at stake, especially for a game purported to be anti-micromanaging.

. . . To the statement of "notifications" and "object window" are "good enough", for many of us, they really aren't. Lots of issues with both, including that notifications are too verbose, notification filters are lacking, and notifications don't help you when you need to look at something latter when there is no report. And object window is both too limited in it's filters and time consuming to set and reset. If you can seamlessly and rapidly play with notifications and object window, good for you. But I think that isn't the case for most.

. . . Currently in the game there is a system for going to next or previous planet/fleet with hotkeys(really stupid default hotkeys, but that is changeable. I use pageup/page down to cycle planets), from now on I will call this system "cycling", as it cycles through the selections of Planets/Solar Systems (SS) and fleets for selecting them so one does not have to keep tracking them down on the map. But this list it cycles through gets very long latter game, especially for planets, despite many of these not seeing any need for production most of the time. The following idea will greatly enhance this cycling system making it very considerably more useful by allowing the player to control how long a list cycling cycles through.

First, note that absolutely no UI is required for this. This no mockup is possible as far as I can tell.

Instead of 2 cycling systems, one for owned planets, one for owned fleets with each cycling system having two hot keys that cycle it forwards or back.
We'd have 3 cycling systems, each with two keys that would cycle each of the 3.

1. cycling system for fleets, like normal.

2. cycling owned solar systems(SS) instead of planets. This switch from cycling planets to cycling SS should be accompanied by all ship production of a SS combined, no matter what planet is selected.

. . . Hotkey X (or whatever key) when pressed, any selected SS or fleet gets pressed it removes from cycling lists(I don't mean UI list) #1 and #2 and added to list #3. Pressing X hotkey again with a fleet or SS selected puts it back. It would be nice if there was some icon or word or something to indicate this status when looking at a fleet or SS, but not strictly necessary. A graphical check box one can click toggle would be an additional not required bonus,

3. cycling through the removed by X hotkey list, which would combine the SS and fleets removed from the other two cyclings into this third cycling. This way you can look through what you have removed from the other two cyclings and and decide if you want to add them back by pressing X hotkey when the SS or fleet is selected.

. . . Also #3 cycling system could be used on it's own. You could reverse the the use and treat cyclings #1 and #2 as the not use normally and cycling #3 as your favorites list you can mark select SS and fleets and quickly cycle through, this would be solely a function of which hotkey cycling systems players choose to use and how they use them, no additional programming required.

. . . Alternatively, #3 could be split into two cyclings with separate cyclings for fleets and SS of the removed. Would mean two more hotkeys to assign and remember, but keyboards do have lots of key options. Whatever version people want most/&/or whatever is easiest to program AKA which ever makes getting this most likely, I am for.

Also pressing C centering screen on whatevers selected (or whatever key). Yes cycling centers when you cycle, but there are times you need this. No option for this currently exist. Adding it here because it's the closet related, but this idea is too small for it's own thread.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: A third cycling list

#2 Post by LienRag »

Yeah, why not.