Crash with 2021-09-06.32fed9e_Test_Win32 ?

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Crash with 2021-09-06.32fed9e_Test_Win32 ?

#1 Post by Oberlus »

I installed FreeOrion_2021-09-06.32fed9e_Test_Win32_Setup in my Windows, started a game, played a few turns, right-clicked on a planet to check out habitability, and the program crashed and exited. Trying to start FO again gets me the cmd window idle (with an exception message about Regex stack exhausted, and the FO window blank (white). I've tried rebooting the machine, and reinstalling the same version, but I still cannot start FO. I tried playing in Linux (compiled from master, today) and I did have no problems, so I'm not sure this is a bug or a problem with my Windows system.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Crash with 2021-09-06.32fed9e_Test_Win32 ?

#2 Post by Oberlus »

I forgot to attach the log file. This one if from trying to start FO, as commented in the previous post. I don't have the log of when the program crashed after installation.
Attachments
freeorion.log
(72.56 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

You've got a lot of errors about missing stringtable keys. If you were editing any stringtable files, it might be loading a broken one... Dunno why it would initially crash mid-game and then on startup, though. Have you deleted your config.xml to make sure it's not trying to grab resources from an edited / wrong version or otherwise broken directory...?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:26 pm You've got a lot of errors about missing stringtable keys. If you were editing any stringtable files, it might be loading a broken one...
I didn't edit any stringtable (or FOCS file), not for the previous version I had installed (with no problem) nor for the one that isn't working for me. The game session in which the crash occurred was as I said: I installed the mentioned version, right then I started a game, played a few turns and then crashed when I right-clicked on a planet.
Geoff the Medio wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:26 pm Have you deleted your config.xml to make sure it's not trying to grab resources from an edited / wrong version or otherwise broken directory...?
Yes, I did, I deleted the whole <user folder>/AppData/roaming/FreeOrion/ folder except persistent_config.xml (logs, save, ship designs, all gone).
Now I've tried deleting also the persistent_config.xml, and FO now starts OK. So something in that file was amiss.
Crisis aborted. Thank you for the attention.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:02 pmNow I've tried deleting also the persistent_config.xml, and FO now starts OK. So something in that file was amiss.
If you can restore it, can you post it, or try to narrow down what in it was causing the problem...?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

Geoff the Medio wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:59 pmIf you can restore it, can you post it, or try to narrow down what in it was causing the problem...?
Sure, I didn't delete it, just moved it to the parent folder. Here it is the ofending persistent config file:
Attachments
persistent_config.xml
(6.45 KiB) Downloaded 53 times