Popular Terraforming

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

Popular Terraforming

#1 Post by Daybreak »

When I saw this I thought fantastic, but

Why is the cost of the option of Popular Terraforming take more time (10 turns) and is more expensive than having to manually go and choose Terraform to ...........(6 Turns) - It was only one terraform to get to a good planet.

Are we being punished because we want to take the easy way out than having to individually terraform each planet. :D

Or maybe I dont understand how it works

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Popular Terraforming

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

Daybreak wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:22 pm Why is the cost of the option of Popular Terraforming take more time (10 turns) and is more expensive than having to manually go and choose Terraform to ...........(6 Turns) - It was only one terraform to get to a good planet.
if you did not do any other terraforming that is a bug. In this case the popular terraform should never be more expensive or slower than the targeted terraform.

provide more details/open an issue/save file please.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#3 Post by Daybreak »

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:12 am
Daybreak wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:22 pm Why is the cost of the option of Popular Terraforming take more time (10 turns) and is more expensive than having to manually go and choose Terraform to ...........(6 Turns) - It was only one terraform to get to a good planet.
if you did not do any other terraforming that is a bug. In this case the popular terraform should never be more expensive or slower than the targeted terraform.

provide more details/open an issue/save file please.
ok

will do

But does popular terraforming disappear after it has terraformed - I want to make sure I understand how it works, and I did not get it wrong.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#4 Post by drkosy »

Why is the cost of the option of Popular Terraforming take more time (10 turns) and is more expensive than having to manually go and choose Terraform to ...........(6 Turns) - It was only one terraform to get to a good planet.
It's just because you have the terraform-policy active. I guess that works only for the "terraforming" but not for "popular terraforming" because the latter one is a different building. Remove the policy and terraforming will be the same cost and time that popular terraforming.
I think it's only the policy that has to be changed.
Want some fresh experience? Try Kosymod

Grummel7
Space Dragon

#5 Post by Grummel7 »

Of course policy terraforming works on popular terraforming as well.

The answer to the original question is that popular terraforming goes all the way to good in one step. If it takes 10 turns, good must be 2 steps from current. Which means you'd have to spent 2x6 turns with targeted terraforming.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#6 Post by drkosy »

The answer to the original question is that popular terraforming goes all the way to good in one step. If it takes 10 turns, good must be 2 steps from current. Which means you'd have to spent 2x6 turns with targeted terraforming.
My math says 2x6 = 12 so I ask myselve why it's 10 turns. :?: That's why my guess of the buggy policy comes from...
Can't proof it right now because my build-system is out of order (libboost doesn't fit to python due to updates) so I have to wait for package updates to be able to build the latest version :(

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#7 Post by Ophiuchus »

drkosy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:39 pm
My math says 2x6 = 12 so I ask myselve why it's 10 turns. :?:
because popular terraform (1x10) is intended to be cheaper and faster to targeted terraforming (2x6). Also note if it were 12 turns it would be worse than 2x targeted terraforming, because you would already get a benefit after 6 turns.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#8 Post by drkosy »

because popular terraform (1x10) is intended to be cheaper and faster to targeted terraforming (2x6). Also note if it were 12 turns it would be worse than 2x targeted terraforming, because you would already get a benefit after 6 turns.
That makes sense :idea:
By the way: I managed to get my build-system running again so I can benefit from popular terraforming now :)
It was only one terraform to get to a good planet.
I wonder about that, as ophiuchus describes it fits really good to a two step terraforming, maybe a mistake in counting steps?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#9 Post by Ophiuchus »

drkosy wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:52 pm I wonder about that, as ophiuchus describes it fits really good to a two step terraforming, maybe a mistake in counting steps?
yes. most simple explanation: daybreak just thought it was one step, but it were two.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#10 Post by Daybreak »

Ophiuchus wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:59 pm
drkosy wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:52 pm I wonder about that, as ophiuchus describes it fits really good to a two step terraforming, maybe a mistake in counting steps?
yes. most simple explanation: daybreak just thought it was one step, but it were two.
I think you are both right. I was bulk terraformig at the time, ao I probably mistook it.

This popular terraforming building came about because I wanted the old ability to terraform back as an option. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12278

I would ask if we can still get the old terrafroming code back as well, for bulk terraforming just one step using the objects window.

drkosy
Space Dragon

#11 Post by drkosy »

I would ask if we can still get the old terrafroming code back as well, for bulk terraforming just one step using the objects window.
I love it as it is now. I often play the game after a hard day work so I'm lazy to some point. To many terraformings just would confuse me in that stage of mental ability. That means I have either to reload and play some turns again or invest PP to terraform again.
Sometime it's hard for me to find the right building because of all that things like industry center, solar orbital generator etc.
Maybe I missed the option to remove buildings from the list (like ships with the obsolet option) if you don't need to build them anymore (e.g. if you already have 1 industry center and don't need another one). In that case I would be fine in having 4 terraform options...