Symbiotic Hull

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

Symbiotic Hull

#1 Post by Daybreak »

Pedia says
Organic Growth: starts with 10 Structure, but grows an additional 10 structure over 50 turns.
Now thats not right

Starts with 80 Structure now, so does not fit within the x6 changes

So how much does it grow over 50 turns? Is it another 80??

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Symbiotic Hull

#2 Post by Oberlus »

Same old problem as other you pointed out (e.g. with RIS): the factor is not included in the Pedia (should).

Edit: by default, structure factor is x8, damage factor is x6.

Grummel7
Space Dragon

#3 Post by Grummel7 »

There are still a lot of hard-coded descriptions, like this which not only misses the factor:

SH_ORGANIC_DESC
'''A living hull with three external slots and one internal slot.
Organic Growth: starts with 5 [[metertype METER_STRUCTURE]], but grows an additional 5 structure over 25 turns.

Hull
name = "SH_ORGANIC"
description = "SH_ORGANIC_DESC"
speed = 90
fuel = 6
NoDefaultFuelEffect
stealth = 5
structure = 3

The base structure should simply be removed from the text. The correct value can be seen down in the generated ship overview.
Perhaps organic growth could be formalized and added to that overview? Otherwise it should be modified using named values that the pedia can refer to.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by wobbly »

I have plans for updating the pedia for this stuff.

There was mention of a performance hit for adding NamedValues here: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/3931
Is this something I should worry about? What's the preferred method, should I change all these entries to named values? Include the game rule in the string table? Something else?

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by Oberlus »

wobbly wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:58 am There was mention of a performance hit for adding NamedValues here: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/3931
Is this something I should worry about? What's the preferred method, should I change all these entries to named values? Include the game rule in the string table? Something else?
The problem was solved by not using Lookups in focs files for values declared outside named_values.focs

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#6 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:58 am There was mention of a performance hit for adding NamedValues here: https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/pull/3931
guessing from oberlus description and "fix" (workaround) that was not a performance issue, but rather a kind of delay caused by a race/parallelism issue (looking up the named value before its definition was parsed).

this should only be possible when parsing is not finished yet. but the bug did not indicate exactly how the pedia was accessed.

so i think this should not have happened... maybe the python parsing does something different which makes this kind of bug possible(?)
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#7 Post by Daybreak »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:10 am by default, structure factor is x8, damage factor is x6.
Is this is in some dataset, that everything could be linked too, including pedia entries, so if there are any changes to these defaults, only the dataset needs changing?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by wobbly »

Daybreak wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:20 pm
Oberlus wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:10 am by default, structure factor is x8, damage factor is x6.
Is this is in some dataset, that everything could be linked too, including pedia entries, so if there are any changes to these defaults, only the dataset needs changing?
Its a matter of how it is defined in the stringtable, https://github.com/freeorion/freeorion/ ... les/en.txt

Code: Select all

LIVING_HULL_AUTO_REGEN
Living hull regenerates [[value SHP_LIVING_HULL_REPAIR]] [[metertype METER_STRUCTURE]] between combats and [[value SHP_LIVING_HULL_FUEL_REGEN]] [[metertype METER_FUEL]] while stationary.
here the pedia is displaying the actual in game value [[value SHP_LIVING_HULL_REPAIR]]

Code: Select all

SH_ORGANIC_DESC
'''A living hull with three external slots and one internal slot.
Organic Growth: starts with 5 [[metertype METER_STRUCTURE]], but grows an additional 5 structure over 25 turns.
Here the numbers are hardcoded into the pedia: "starts with 5", "5 over 25 turns"

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by wobbly »

And as a plus side to replying to your post I notice that the description of organic hulls is wrong. They've had 1 external slot for a long time now.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by wobbly »

wobbly wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:05 pm And as a plus side to replying to your post I notice that the description of organic hulls is wrong. They've had 1 external slot for a long time now.
So I'd add a screenshot of the entry, but.. the forum says attachment quota is full. If you go to the pedia entry for organic hull:

"A living hull with three external slots and one internal slot." - "Wrong :("

blah

External Slot: 1 - "Yeah! :)"
Internal Slot: 1
Core Slot: 0

Is there a simple way to grab the correct in-game version used for External Slot: 1 in the stringtable entries for ship hulls?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#11 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:28 pm Is there a simple way to grab the correct in-game version used for External Slot: 1 in the stringtable entries for ship hulls?
currently not. needs backend support.

one way to implement: specific tags to query certain properties of content.

more generic, another way to implement: tags to query/execute ValueRefs (this probably could be bootstrapped faster by using named value refs).
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!