Situation Report improvement

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
human2
Pupating Mass

Situation Report improvement

#1 Post by human2 »

I just had the idea that a big way to improve the situation report is to combine similar reports. I've got 4 reports that an orbital drydock completed repairs and 4 that partial repairs were completed. It would be great if those were combined into 2 reports like this: "4 x On Zomg I: the Orbital Drydock completed repairs on 4 ships (ship1, ship2, etc)".

Just an idea.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Situation Report improvement

#2 Post by LienRag »

Why not...
Would it work in all cases ?

My main beef with the situational report is that it's not really navigable on keyboard, though.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#3 Post by Oberlus »

There is a feature request for this, aging well.

human2
Pupating Mass

#4 Post by human2 »

I've talked about assigning UI sounds to certain types of reports as well. Another idea is to add an alarm when a certain reports appear. In particular, I really want to know when certain monster nests create new monsters. I'm not sure if this is a bug or intended, but when you have a Gateway to the Void in a system that has a nest, well, if you don't move the monster it gets sucked into the void. I always want to move them first. Maybe this is a bug though...

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#5 Post by Ophiuchus »

human2 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:19 am I really want to know when certain monster nests create new monsters. I'm not sure if this is a bug or intended, but when you have a Gateway to the Void in a system that has a nest, well, if you don't move the monster it gets sucked into the void. I always want to move them first. Maybe this is a bug though...
Actually you should get messages for new monsters from your own nests (was it "... ready for service.." ?). The gateway to the void effect sounds legit. One could add a "imminent doom" sitrep for the situation you describe (spawning a monster in a gateway to the void system or similar).

as extension of that i would like to have a report for any newly visible monster (so once per monster fleet) and maybe even for all unstealthing fleets. Maybe a single alarm per starlane/system/cluster.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

human2
Pupating Mass

#6 Post by human2 »

Battlestations! https://youtu.be/N0HlkTCkTm8?t=66

Not this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqmSdDKmj2M

I do get the new monster notifications, it's just that sometimes so little is happening I'll click the turn button over and over and I guess I want some way to get my attention. I've actually had to block most of the notifications so I because so many of them are superfluous. I guess I should explain. Sometimes I play games with monster spawning really high. So there are so many monster notifcations that they I have to ignore most of them.