Disconnecting the capital

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

Disconnecting the capital

#1 Post by wobbly »

disconnect.png
disconnect.png (280.65 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
It's a single mass driver sitting 1 jump from the capital. It's also -1 IP/colony and -10 stability on every colony not connected to a regional admin. Not saying this is bad or good, just that it exists.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: Disconnecting the capital

#2 Post by Ophiuchus »

wobbly wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:02 am
It's a single mass driver sitting 1 jump from the capital. It's also -1 IP/colony and -10 stability on every colony not connected to a regional admin. Not saying this is bad or good, just that it exists.
yeah, blue should have put some defense on that chokepoint
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#3 Post by Daybreak »

Sorry missing the point, what is the actual problem here?

Is something wrong with the numbers?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#4 Post by Ophiuchus »

Daybreak wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:19 am Sorry missing the point, what is the actual problem here?

I think wobbly meant having a low investment (cheap attack ship/disruptor) in the right place can have a huge effect
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by wobbly »

Daybreak wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:19 am Sorry missing the point, what is the actual problem here?

So sorry for the delay, but ...

turn 52, multiplayer game 21 was what I was hinting at.

My comments are cryptic, because I'm not sure whether it's great that this sort of thing is strategically possible. Or terribly unfair that it can happen to a player.

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by LienRag »

It's great that it is strategically possible.
The limited ways of countering it may be a problem.
As of now, it's either defend militarily against it, or use Confederation. Or lose the game.

It's good that failure to defend cost a player something, but not necessarily good that the punishment would be this brutal.

Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:47 am I think wobbly meant having a low investment (...) in the right place can have a huge effect
That's a quite apt definition of what strategy is...

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#7 Post by Oberlus »

Wobbly, I've adopted Centralization. Come here and pick on somebody your own size!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:34 pm That's a quite apt definition of what strategy is...
I think that is more "tactic" than "strategy". But apt, apt.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#9 Post by Daybreak »

wobbly wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:06 pm

So sorry for the delay, but ...

turn 52, multiplayer game 21 was what I was hinting at.

My comments are cryptic, because I'm not sure whether it's great that this sort of thing is strategically possible. Or terribly unfair that it can happen to a player.
and
LienRag wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:34 pm It's great that it is strategically possible.
The limited ways of countering it may be a problem.
As of now, it's either defend militarily against it, or use Confederation. Or lose the game.

It's good that failure to defend cost a player something, but not necessarily good that the punishment would be this brutal.
Ophiuchus wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:47 am I think wobbly meant having a low investment (...) in the right place can have a huge effect
That's a quite apt definition of what strategy is...
Strategically its fine and ok

But you have to look at when it should be possible. Its the timing of when it can happen, that makes all the difference. In your original example it was later in the game, and every player has plenty of ships.

Turn 52 MP21 when no one has many ships, then its brutal - again I believe its due to basic small hulls in essence having an extra inner slot slaved to stealth, not that that in itself is a problem, but when it is attainable. Why: you would never have been able to get to that system without the stealth and fuel.

There are limited ways to counter it as Lienrag said, but only because it is so early.

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by wobbly »

Daybreak wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:03 pm Turn 52 MP21 when no one has many ships, then its brutal - again I believe its due to basic small hulls in essence having an extra inner slot slaved to stealth, not that that in itself is a problem, but when it is attainable. Why: you would never have been able to get to that system without the stealth and fuel.

There are limited ways to counter it as Lienrag said, but only because it is so early.
You can believe its due to spatial flux hulls existing all you like. I'll most likely believe that it had been obvious I was using stealth ships for 16 full turns and that it would of taken you 5 turns to reach the detection to nullify them, had you reacted immediately.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#11 Post by Daybreak »

wobbly wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:05 pm You can believe its due to spatial flux hulls existing all you like. I'll most likely believe that it had been obvious I was using stealth ships for 16 full turns and that it would of taken you 5 turns to reach the detection to nullify them, had you reacted immediately.
What are you basing that 5 turns on?

wobbly
Cosmic Dragon

#12 Post by wobbly »

Daybreak wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:53 pm
wobbly wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:05 pm You can believe its due to spatial flux hulls existing all you like. I'll most likely believe that it had been obvious I was using stealth ships for 16 full turns and that it would of taken you 5 turns to reach the detection to nullify them, had you reacted immediately.
The fact that you were already at 30 detection strength and have a military policy slot.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#13 Post by Daybreak »

wobbly wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:01 pm
Daybreak wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:53 pm
The fact that you were already at 30 detection strength and have a military policy slot.
Thats true - but no influence at that time for the 21 cost of continuous scanning, so I started saving, but did not want to change too many planets focus, because there is a large malus for that as well - I suppose that is just bad luck

Lots of costs to counter
Opportunity costs for research points - loss of Exploration, as a second military slot not so easy to come by
Influence costs
etc
Last edited by Daybreak on Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#14 Post by Oberlus »

For situations of bad luck, that seems to happen every game, I try to keep either a high IP production or a high IP stockpile.