Meteor blizzard, Research bonus missing.

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

Meteor blizzard, Research bonus missing.

#1 Post by Daybreak »

MP21
Turn 31
Basic Small Hull

Scout just sitting there, and a meteor blizzard expanded to envelop my scout that turn, but showed no research bonus at end of turn.

Turn 32 I received bonus, however meteor shower had moved very slightly my way.

Comments in game by ophiuchus:
field movement/expansion is also a FOCS effect, based on what you saw probably happens after calculating the bonus
for consistency with normal movement it should probably happen before calculating the bonus. actually i would suggest applying the effect twice, so the playet gets the bonus also if the field moves away (consistency with GUI).
checking the code though both effects are standard priority and in the same file and the research effect is after move and grow, so if your ship is inside the field after field movement/growth, it should have the research bonus. probably your ship is not considered inside the field (for some reason the effect is applied to only 90% of the field)? or your scout is a monster which is not allowed to do research

b
Meteor No Research2022-09-14 22_13_01-Window.png
Meteor No Research2022-09-14 22_13_01-Window.png (114.93 KiB) Viewed 1275 times

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Meteor blizzard, Research bonus missing.

#2 Post by Oberlus »

I think the 90% thingy was put there (before Geoff added the contour image when hovering) because the outer parts of the field images are a bit ambiguous.
Maybe it should be changed to 100% now.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#3 Post by Daybreak »

Oberlus wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:48 pm Maybe it should be changed to 100% now.
+1

I have another instance now.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#4 Post by Ophiuchus »

Daybreak wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:29 am
Oberlus wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:48 pm Maybe it should be changed to 100% now.
+1

I have another instance now.
also note that the ship icon is misleading - the question is if the planet circle _center_ is inside the field, the stationary ship icon is off

i have such a case - the ships are clearly inside the 90% of the field, but do not get the research point, because the system (i.e. the circle center) actually is not inside

probably we should add/subtract something to the field border in the GUI.

So: in case the center is out, cut out the system circle out of the field circle; in case the center is in add system circle to the field circle (field border would look like a circle with a small bump).

Would be a nice feature request
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#5 Post by LienRag »

Isn't there a way to "enlighten" the systems that are touched by a field ?
That would make way easier to understand what is what.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by Oberlus »

Apart from what Ophiuchus suggested, maybe change the border ring image that appears when hovering by a translucid white circle? like the way we see detection range.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#7 Post by Ophiuchus »

LienRag wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:44 am Isn't there a way to "enlighten" the systems that are touched by a field ?
That would make way easier to understand what is what.
i am not aware this exists. but basically that was my suggestion (extending the field border clue to show if a system is touched or not).

or do you mean - the system gets a visual clue if at least one field affects it? would partly help, but sometimes not if there are multiple fields around.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#8 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:51 am Apart from what Ophiuchus suggested, maybe change the border ring image that appears when hovering by a translucid white circle? like the way we see detection range.
so there is no blackness? dunno. maybe helps conveying the idea that the whole area is affected.

besides including systems maybe also include/highlight other objects (e.g. ship icons) if they are inside

LienRag
Cosmic Dragon

#9 Post by LienRag »

Ophiuchus wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:58 am or do you mean - the system gets a visual clue if at least one field affects it? would partly help, but sometimes not if there are multiple fields around.
Yes.
It could be a different clue for each field.

We need different visualization modes of the Galaxy anyway.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#10 Post by Oberlus »

LienRag wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:05 am It could be a different clue for each field.
Can you imagine that as something that would not be a mess?
I mean, there are several field types, and the empires already use many colors. Also think of color-blindness.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#11 Post by Daybreak »

I suppose it makes sense that the 90% affects all storms, but just in case

This ion storm is no longer affecting Jera Deta

b
IonCloud.png
IonCloud.png (350.95 KiB) Viewed 1038 times