Notes on rev 4811

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.
Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Zireael
Space Dragon
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Notes on rev 4811

#1 Post by Zireael » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:20 pm

Won't repeat stuff I already mentioned in notes on rev 4776.

1. The default focus shouldn't be set to farming, as this focus seems to be obsolete.
2. Tech descriptions still mention improving farming.
3. Autosave should be turned off as default.
4. Heavy Mining should yield more minerals than normal Mining does, yet incure other penalties.
5. There's a trade resource in the top bar, yet as earlier, there is no trade in-game...

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

Re: Notes on rev 4811

#2 Post by eleazar » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Zireael wrote:1. The default focus shouldn't be set to farming, as this focus seems to be obsolete.
It's not obsolete, but currently useless for any native planet or isolated imperial planet. --Though i'm not sure if native planets have a focus or if it is merely hidden.

Anyway, some species certainly don't have a farming focus. I'd like to be able to set the default focus in the species definition, to avoid the occasional default nothing, and instead put the default on the species strength.

Zireael
Space Dragon
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: Notes on rev 4811

#3 Post by Zireael » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Some more:
1) I built an Imperial Palace on another planet. The capital got changed, however, the old planet still enjoyed the other bonuses (increased meters etc.)
2) No sitrep message upon transcendence victory.

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

Re: Notes on rev 4811

#4 Post by eleazar » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:15 pm

Zireael wrote:1) I built an Imperial Palace on another planet. The capital got changed, however, the old planet still enjoyed the other bonuses (increased meters etc.)
It's supposed to. Most of those bonuses are from the "cultural archives"-- which is essentially the distinction of that species homeworld-- due to the fact that they have spent uncounted generations there and adapted the planet and themselves to each other.

User avatar
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin
Posts: 12282
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Location: Munich

Re: Notes on rev 4811

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:44 pm

eleazar wrote:I'd like to be able to set the default focus in the species definition, to avoid the occasional default nothing, and instead put the default on the species strength.
It's supposed to default to the first focus listed in the species definition, though this might be buggy.

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

Re: Notes on rev 4811

#6 Post by eleazar » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:32 pm

Geoff the Medio wrote:
eleazar wrote:I'd like to be able to set the default focus in the species definition, to avoid the occasional default nothing, and instead put the default on the species strength.
It's supposed to default to the first focus listed in the species definition, though this might be buggy.
Hmm, switching the order did work when i founded a new colony, but it doesn't seem to work on captured native planets. I.E. Beige Goo which has only an Industry focus, but has a colony set to nothing when you capture it.

Anyway, i'll change the first focus for species at least that excel at something else.

User avatar
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin
Posts: 12282
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Location: Munich

Re: Notes on rev 4811

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:51 pm

eleazar wrote:I.E. Beige Goo which has only an Industry focus, but has a colony set to nothing when you capture it.
I think the issue there is that the industry focus requires a population of at least 1, but when planets are first created, they start with population 0, which is the case until the first round of effects can be applied, which bump up the target population to the base level from the species' effects. After that, the active meters (population, mining, construction, etc. which have associated target or max meters) are set equal to their target or max meters, and then things proceed. But, the game doesn't go back and check again if any planets' have gained new available foci due to the meter changes. Since the Beige Goo have no other focus, they're left sitting with no focus set, which remains the case after a player conquers their planet.

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

Re: Notes on rev 4811

#8 Post by eleazar » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:53 pm

Geoff the Medio wrote:
eleazar wrote:I.E. Beige Goo which has only an Industry focus, but has a colony set to nothing when you capture it.
I think the issue there is that the industry focus requires a population of at least 1, but when planets are first created, they start with population 0, which is the case until the first round of effects can be applied, which bump up the target population to the base level from the species' effects. After that, the active meters (population, mining, construction, etc. which have associated target or max meters) are set equal to their target or max meters, and then things proceed. But, the game doesn't go back and check again if any planets' have gained new available foci due to the meter changes. Since the Beige Goo have no other focus, they're left sitting with no focus set, which remains the case after a player conquers their planet.
Ah-- It looks like those are some bits to keep certain foci from working on outposts until certain techs are reached.

revision 4815
"Simplified requirements for mining and industry foci:
* removing minimum population requirements
* eliminating heavy mining from asteroids and gas giants
* removed 'orbital mining' tech which allowed mining of planetary outposts"

That should solve the problem, and eliminate some odd edge cases.

Also:

revision 4813
"Default focus for new colonies is now something the species is good at."

Post Reply