Notes on rev 4994

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.
Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Post Reply
Message
Author
Zireael
Space Dragon
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Notes on rev 4994

#1 Post by Zireael » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:13 pm

Enjoying the active AI very much. However, I'd like to see a clarification concerning other ships in system (see an earlier thread of mine). Will that behavior be changed with the diplomacy system or will it stay? (If it will stay, I'll add a note to the quick play guide).

1) I don't see a 'make outpost' button or whatever it was supposed to be called.
2) In Pedia, it tells me 'capital unknown' for 2 AIs whose capitals I can plainly see on map.
3) Pedia again, systems list is full of 'Unexplored Region' and/or 'Deep Space' entries.
4) Will we see empire borders somehow on the map? My capital is surrounded by planets of 2 of the AIs...

User avatar
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin
Posts: 12243
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Location: Munich

Re: Notes on rev 4994

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:50 pm

Zireael wrote:I'd like to see a clarification concerning other ships in system (see an earlier thread of mine). Will that behavior be changed with the diplomacy system or will it stay? (If it will stay, I'll add a note to the quick play guide).
???
1) I don't see a 'make outpost' button or whatever it was supposed to be called.
See attached.
2) In Pedia, it tells me 'capital unknown' for 2 AIs whose capitals I can plainly see on map.
There's no espionage system, so you never get info about other empires, such as their capital.
3) Pedia again, systems list is full of 'Unexplored Region' and/or 'Deep Space' entries.
I see about the appropriate number of these... Each instance gets an entry.
4) Will we see empire borders somehow on the map? My capital is surrounded by planets of 2 of the AIs...
Probably eventually, if and once "empire borders" are defined.
Attachments
place_outpost.png
illustration of place outpost button
place_outpost.png (74.53 KiB) Viewed 568 times

Zireael
Space Dragon
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: Notes on rev 4994

#3 Post by Zireael » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:55 pm

Clarifying a question: will ships of other players always block colonization or will it change with diplomacy options?

How do I build outpost ships then?

User avatar
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin
Posts: 12243
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Location: Munich

Re: Notes on rev 4994

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:59 pm

Zireael wrote:Clarifying a question: will ships of other players always block colonization or will it change with diplomacy options?
In 4999, colonization happens as ordered unless 1) multiple empires try to colonize the same planet on the same turn, or 2) an enemy empire has armed agressive ships in the same system that turn.
How do I build outpost ships then?
Research Environmental Encapsulation. It takes 1 turn.

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

Re: Notes on rev 4994

#5 Post by eleazar » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:16 pm

As of this version, monsters can't hurt my ships. I can leave scouts or colony ships set to hostile in system with a Sentry, and the sit rep will report a battle but i never take damage. My warships can destroy monsters.

Some scripts are a few revisions more recent, but that shouldn't matter.

Enemy AIs can blow me up.

User avatar
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin
Posts: 12243
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:33 am
Location: Munich

Re: Notes on rev 4994

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:09 am

eleazar wrote:As of this version, monsters can't hurt my ships. I can leave scouts or colony ships set to hostile in system with a Sentry, and the sit rep will report a battle but i never take damage. My warships can destroy monsters.
Should be fixed in SVN.

Zireael
Space Dragon
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: Notes on rev 4994

#7 Post by Zireael » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:10 am

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Zireael wrote:Clarifying a question: will ships of other players always block colonization or will it change with diplomacy options?
In 4999, colonization happens as ordered unless 1) multiple empires try to colonize the same planet on the same turn, or 2) an enemy empire has armed agressive ships in the same system that turn.
How do I build outpost ships then?
Research Environmental Encapsulation. It takes 1 turn.


There must be a bug, since I don't see the tech at all (I even started a new game to double-check).

Zireael
Space Dragon
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Re: Notes on rev 4994

#8 Post by Zireael » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:24 am

There's a definite bug - playing as Trith, all planets have max pop of 0.0 regardless of their place on the famed wheel of habitability (apart from good planets). I researched all Growth techs.

User avatar
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus
Posts: 3858
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:09 pm
Location: USA — midwest

Re: Notes on rev 4994

#9 Post by eleazar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:46 pm

Zireael wrote:There must be a bug, since I don't see the tech at all (I even started a new game to double-check).

Zireael wrote:There's a definite bug - playing as Trith, all planets have max pop of 0.0 regardless of their place on the famed wheel of habitability (apart from good planets). I researched all Growth techs.

That all works with the most recent script files.
You can wait for the next binary, or swap in the latest specials.txt, species.txt, techs.txt, eng_stringtable.txt and share_macros.txt

Post Reply