Notes on rev 5222

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Zireael
Space Dragon

Re: Notes on rev 5222

#16 Post by Zireael »

I agree the tech tree could use some pruning - the aforementioned theories and do-nothings - but I still maintain that you should require a worse equipment of the type before getting the better one - i.e. Basic Damage Control required for Advanced Damage Control.

As for techs having multiple prereqs - rarely did I see a tech with more than 2 prereqs. None of the techs I changed have more than 2 prereqs after my change.

And having a tree look like the Laser I -> Laser II -> Laser III -> Laser IV -> Laser V part is boring. Same goes for the Industrial Center part of the tech tree.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#17 Post by eleazar »

Zireael wrote:…but I still maintain that you should require a worse equipment of the type before getting the better one - i.e. Basic Damage Control required for Advanced Damage Control.
Then find a way to achieve that which matches the way we want the tree to change. It is not trivial, but neither is it impossible.
Zireael wrote:And having a tree look like the Laser I -> Laser II -> Laser III -> Laser IV -> Laser V part is boring. Same goes for the Industrial Center part of the tech tree.
I'm not worried about tree shape being boring. It's problem is that it is confusing. And if desired a more complex shape can be created when all the techs are finalized.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#18 Post by Zireael »

OK. Somebody prune the tree of the useless stuff and then I can add the links between Basic-Advanced Damage Control, for example.

(I'd prune the tech tree myself if not for the fact I'm typing from a comp which doesn't have FO installed and never will, since it's not mine and I'm afraid I'll delete something which wasn't supposed to be deleted).

(On the plus side, I can open txt files here, so...)

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Zireael wrote:I'd prune the tech tree myself if not for the fact I'm typing from a comp which doesn't have FO installed...
Perhaps you should wait until you get a computer that does have FO installed? Blindly editing the techs.txt is unlikely to produce a useful result.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#20 Post by Zireael »

@ up: That's cause I'm holed up here (i.e. not at home and not being allowed to install anything on the PC) for 2 weeks and I hate being bored...

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#21 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Depending on technicalities of the restrictions, FreeOrion doesn't really need to be installed... You can just stick it in a directory and run it from there. It'll make some log files, but that can all be deleted when you're done.

rnl
Space Floater

#22 Post by rnl »

Install the game on a USB drive, that's how I play at work with no problems.