Notes on rev 5442

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Notes on rev 5442

#16 Post by eleazar »

Zireael wrote:
eleazar wrote:You just need 4 shipyards at the same location:
Well, in turn 99 I had three shipyard buildings, so one of the upgrades was missing. However, the description needs updating, since it only mentioned one of the upgrades and there's three of them required.
You have an old version or failed to read the whole description:
Requires a Basic Shipyard, an Orbital Incubator, a Xenocoordination facility and a Cellular Growth Chamber at the planet where it is developed.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#17 Post by Dilvish »

Lookout for the AI now!! :D And let me confirm -- there is no "cheating" going on-- the AI client is subject to all the constraints the human client is (at least pretty much, see below) -- Besides the below I think the only place the AI *may* have an advantage has to do with review of ships previously glimpsed -- the AI knows exactly when it saw those ships where as a human player may be unsure (but that whole visibility area is still in flux).

The AI may be an inadvertent exploiter at times though -- I think the production in this chart is higher than what would really be "intended" because the AI was getting Gas Giant Generators producing output on outposts -- I'm not sure if there was a loosening of the Gas Giant Generator Effects, or if the AI was somehow able to enter an "Industry Focus" for those outposts. That's something I need to look into more.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7016
pp_game1.png
pp_game1.png (63.77 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#18 Post by eleazar »

Dilvish wrote:I think the production in this chart is higher than what would really be "intended" because the AI was getting Gas Giant Generators producing output on outposts -- I'm not sure if there was a loosening of the Gas Giant Generator Effects, or if the AI was somehow able to enter an "Industry Focus" for those outposts. ]
What it is supposed to do is provide an industry bonus to any industry focused planet in the system. If you can get a viable colony on the gas giant, it should get the bonus too.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

It's possible that temporary colonies with population for a few turns are able to set an focus, then depopulate, but end up leaving the focus in place for purposes of applying effects.

Dilvish

#20 Post by Dilvish »

Zireael wrote:1) The AI is quite challenging. Thank you, Dilvish!
You're quite welcome :D
2) Would it be possible to have the AI ship designs made available to the player (and named better)?
AI Ship Design info can be viewed in the Pedia after you have observed an AI ship of that design. A low to medium priority for me is to tap into the existing ship name generator to get names for AI ship designs, so they are at least flavorful.
5) Noticeable slowdowns around turn 200.
Probably the biggest part of that is Effects processing, which Geoff has made some good headway on but which would be nice to see further improvement for. Also, the AIs currently start using nontrivial cpu time somewhere between turns 60 and 100; I'll be working on improving that.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Zireael
Space Dragon

#21 Post by Zireael »

I ran a game against 1 AI, 51 stars. Turn slowdowns ~turn 150. It seems slowdowns are related to when the AI starts to dominate my games. It moves its fleets around, gives orders...

Dilvish

#22 Post by Dilvish »

yandonman wrote:I'm actually curious what the growth curve over time for PP is for people. Anyone got any data to share? (would be useful for balancing)
Here's a chart I made of a run today, using the patch & script I just posted in programming. I should say though, this chart is not really representative, it was a lucky run, it's usually not until somewhere from turn 60 to 90 that I can get up to 100 PP per turn. The galaxy was medium density everything, with a total of ~12 systems per empire. The big jumps are when I conquireed juicy planets.
pp_game2.png
pp_game2.png (81.97 KiB) Viewed 1204 times

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#23 Post by yandonman »

This looks per species (which is interesting); do you have a per empire?
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Dilvish

#24 Post by Dilvish »

the lines are labeled according to empire Capitol species, but all empires are shown separately, even if a primary species is duplicated, like in this chart for both human and eaxaw. Is that what you meant, or were you looking for a designator of specific empire? It would be easy to instead make the legend label be species + capitol system

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#25 Post by yandonman »

Ah, now I understand the chart and it's already providing what I was wanting to see. (no need for change)
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.