Notes on rev 5592

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Zireael
Space Dragon

Notes on rev 5592

#1 Post by Zireael »

1) Thanks for the Species Pedia Lookup containing Environmental Preferences.
2) Thanks for more defense techs.

3) 'You lost' and 'you won' screens needed.
4) Difficulty settings sorely needed.
5) Super Testers available to the AI.
6) I saw a Sentry with a structure of 65 and several Dyson Forests with structure of 65.5k.
7) What happened to the tech which allowed domesticating monsters?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Notes on rev 5592

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Zireael wrote:6) I saw a Sentry with a structure of 65 and several Dyson Forests with structure of 65.5k.
Dunno if that's unusual for sentries, but Dyson forests have a max structure that is 3 times their age. If a monster is created before the first turn, its age is a very large number, and the resulting max structure will be the max meter value, 65.5k.
7) What happened to the tech which allowed domesticating monsters?
Domesticated Mega-Fauna is still there and should make Kraken nests you control give you krakens, from the looks of it.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

Zireael wrote:4) Difficulty settings sorely needed.
ya, I'm working on that. I'll try to submit something today.
5) Super Testers available to the AI.
in my own species.txt file, I've commented out their 'playable' line: Geoff et al. - any objections to my committing that change? It just means that the player (and AIs) will never start turn 1 as a SuperTester; the use of SuperTesters for testing is still readily available & works just fine by building a super-tester take-over (which the AI will never do).
6) I saw a Sentry with a structure of 65 and several Dyson Forests with structure of 65.5k.
They do make for a long-term barrier, but it's far from impenetrable. Keep in mind that even with 65k health, they only do two damage per attack, or, on average, a total of 20 points of damage per turn. So as long as you head into it with a fleet of ships with total structure+shields of at least 40 to 60 per 65k Forest, you're unlikely to lose any ships, can whittle it down, and head back to a drydock when repairs are necessary. It's something I put off for quite a while though, since even with a fleet of 1k attack it will take 6+ turns to take down one of those forests.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:any objections to my committing that change?
Yes, I object. They're playable in SVN so they're easy and quick to start a game as. They'll be commented out for the next release.
They do make for a long-term barrier, but it's far from impenetrable. Keep in mind that even with 65k health...
Even if it can be whittled down, I suspect the 65k health wasn't intended... (though maybe it was?) A limit could be put into the max structure setting effect, though I don't know what is appropriate.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#5 Post by Zireael »

ya, I'm working on that. I'll try to submit something today.
Thanks a lot.
Yes, I object. They're playable in SVN so they're easy and quick to start a game as. They'll be commented out for the next release.
Would it be possible for them to be still playable for the player while being unavailable to the AI?

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Zireael wrote:Would it be possible for them to be still playable for the player while being unavailable to the AI?
Probably, but if you don't want them in a test build, just comment them out.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#7 Post by Dilvish »

editing text files like species.txt will not require recompiling the game, so anyone can do it, with practically any kind of text editor or word processor (just make sure it doesn't convince you to save it as a .doc or somesuch; it needs to stay a plain text .txt file). By default, these files are located in the subfolder named 'default' (within whatever folder holds your freeorion executable).
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:...practically any kind of text editor or word processor ... it needs to stay a plain text .txt file
It's a bit more picky than that. The files won't load properly in notepad because it can't handle non-Windows style line endings, and the files have to be saved in UTF-8. Any *decent* text editor will work. I suggest Komodo Edit.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Any *decent* text editor will work. I suggest Komodo Edit.
Another good free editor on Windows is PSPad.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#10 Post by eleazar »

Code: Select all

EffectsGroup
            scope = Source
            activation = Turn high = 2
            effects = [
                CreateShip "SM_TREE"
                Destroy
            ]
This was supposed to remove and recreate all trees existing before the game started to avoid 65k structure. Don't know why it doesn't always work.

Geoff the Medio

#11 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:Don't know why it doesn't always work.
It might have been the recently-fixed issue where only the first non-meter-related effects in an effectsgroup would execute.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#12 Post by Sloth »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
eleazar wrote:Don't know why it doesn't always work.
It might have been the recently-fixed issue where only the first non-meter-related effects in an effectsgroup would execute.
Yes, the 65k forests turn into small forests on turn 2.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Burkey
Space Squid

#13 Post by Burkey »

Zireael wrote: 3) 'You lost' and 'you won' screens needed.
Any movement on this? It's a great game to play but without actually being able to be declared a winner it's kinda pointless at the end game....

qsswin
Pupating Mass

#14 Post by qsswin »

Burkey wrote:
Zireael wrote: 3) 'You lost' and 'you won' screens needed.
Any movement on this? It's a great game to play but without actually being able to be declared a winner it's kinda pointless at the end game....
I believe the technological victory at least should give some sort of popup, unless the lack of a %1% in the TECH_VICTORY string has borked the message, or the Victory effect (http://freeorion.org/index.php/Effects#Victory) has never been implemented.

Burkey
Space Squid

#15 Post by Burkey »

I have researched that tech plenty of times which says gives you victory. But the game continues with no victor declared...