Feedback on 5853

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
druid
Space Floater

Feedback on 5853

#1 Post by druid »

Hi! Most of all, thank you for development of great game!

SitRep notifications about system mines and psychogenic domination now improved my gaming experience.

I still have problems in window mode guessing which system produces what, only once on FHD resolution system names were displayed. But usually I'm trying to guess this by clicking on production item to see where planet focus will go.

Bug of this build - after saving game before difficult and risky move I can't continue it. After I press Turn button, it will not resolve the turn. Turn button remains pressed all the time. The only workaround is to load autasaved game couple of turns before.

And AI on typical just great opponents. They found how to prevent me from invasion on last colony by searching correct tech. Or AI with only two colonies researched psychogenic domination and stars capturing my ships. Third one just developed better hulls and can win a battle on almost any neutral plannet.

I'll try to upload my last saved game, as well as game after which I couldn't continue due to frozen turn button. Couple of screenshots will follow.
Strongly addicted to turn-based space strategies :) And I like FO!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Feedback on 5853

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

druid wrote:I still have problems in window mode guessing which system produces what, only once on FHD resolution system names were displayed.
No idea what that was supposed to mean.

j4l
Space Krill

#3 Post by j4l »

druid wrote: Bug of this build - after saving game before difficult and risky move I can't continue it. After I press Turn button, it will not resolve the turn. Turn button remains pressed all the time. The only workaround is to load autasaved game couple of turns before.
Seems its getting worse. I wasn't able to continue any savegame other then autosave turn 1. Even the other autosaves the turn ending simply hangs.

Btw since 5832 the game crashes while starting a game with the intel igp.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

druid wrote:I still have problems in window mode guessing which system produces what, only once on FHD resolution system names were displayed. But usually I'm trying to guess this by clicking on production item to see where planet focus will go.
you mean in the production panels? Those can get a bit cramped; one of these days we'll get some more resizing ability. If it's really bothersome to you, you could try renaming your major production planets to have very short names.
I'll try to upload my last saved game, as well as game after which I couldn't continue due to frozen turn button. Couple of screenshots will follow.
The savegame problem is fixed as of rev 5855
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

j4l wrote:Btw since 5832 the game crashes while starting a game with the intel igp.
Assuming "igp" means what I assume, you probably need to update your video drivers.

druid
Space Floater

#6 Post by druid »

2Dilvish: Yes, some resizing may be a woraround.

This is how it looks like for me:
ImageImage
(http://piccy.info/view3/4264179/efeea33 ... 1b20188c2/ )

My ships are controlled over psychogenic domination!
ImageImage
http://piccy.info/view3/4264200/e939c17 ... b7067c96e/

I was not able to upload my saved game here until I've zipped it. Maybe someone has ideas how to get out of my situation and win? :)

This game was really fun and addictive. I've selected 5 AIs and typical agression. Galaxy size - approx. 30 per race, other settings unchanged. Race chosen - gysache. Unfortunately I've met AI with gysache in this game and it's a serions opponent (researched psychogenic domination!). My strategy was to conquer rather than seed planets and research. I have researched death ray1 recently and symbiotic hulls, but my enemies use endomorphic already and win battles against my organic ships with plasma1 cannons on neutral planets...

93 turns to research psychogenic domination!!! I may be defeated by AIs! :)
Attachments
FreeOrion_VVS_CCCP_0176_20130312_203624.zip
This is my last saved turn...
(521.68 KiB) Downloaded 87 times

druid
Space Floater

#7 Post by druid »

I played on Intel integrated graphics in Windows XP SP3 all the time and it works nice...

druid
Space Floater

#8 Post by druid »

BTW, my personal opinion, some 3d graphics like rotating planets in planet/production panes are not worth of it... I have noticed they are rotating only when played second game somewhere at 200s turn...

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

druid wrote:...rotating planets in planet/production panes are not worth of it...
You can turn them off in the options screen UI tab.

druid
Space Floater

#10 Post by druid »

Thanks! I will turn it off.

MiniMe
Space Squid

#11 Post by MiniMe »

One minor bug which i've forgot to mention in the previous versions:
you do not need to place an outpost on an asteroid to get the production bonus from Microgravity Industry. It is sufficient to have an outpost ship idling in the system.
I havent checked if this applies to exobot colony ships as well.

Two suggestions:
1. The drop down in the top right showing the system name: could this drop down list be sorted alphabetically please? It could then be useful to find a specific system on a large map.
2. Either give a second SitRep message for Artificial Planet when the planet is created the following round (same as Terraforming)...atm i tend to forget to colonize it (same goes for Artificial Black Hole and forgetting to build the power generator).
Or only display one SitRep message when the planets have actually been created.

There might be a bug with colonization but i forgot to hold on to a save game...and it's perhaps difficult to explain/understand.
I will try to reproduce this in the next game and post a save game, if needed:
1. Colony ship arrives in a system with a monster
2. Colony ship survives the battle
3. I click the "colonize" button
4. Colonization fails (due to monster?)
5. I fly the colony ship out of the system
6. I destroy the monster with a battle fleet
7. I fly the colony ship back in...and the colonize button is activated automatically (and grey, cannot cancel). I guess the colonization procedure has been stored somehow and continues. The next round the planet gets colonized (and also the correct planet from step #3)

druid
Space Floater

#12 Post by druid »

MiniMe wrote: There might be a bug with colonization but i forgot to hold on to a save game...and it's perhaps difficult to explain/understand.
7. I fly the colony ship back in...and the colonize button is activated automatically (and grey, cannot cancel). I guess the colonization procedure has been stored somehow and continues. The next round the planet gets colonized (and also the correct planet from step #3)
I had the same thing. I understand why unarmed colony or troop ship can't invide/colonise, but colonisation seems to be not cancelled after that.

qsswin
Pupating Mass

#13 Post by qsswin »

MiniMe wrote:One minor bug which i've forgot to mention in the previous versions:
you do not need to place an outpost on an asteroid to get the production bonus from Microgravity Industry. It is sufficient to have an outpost ship idling in the system.
I can't imagine why that would happen, looking at the script. Are you sure there wasn't a asteroids colony in the system? That should provide the bonus, too.
MiniMe wrote: There might be a bug with colonization but i forgot to hold on to a save game...and it's perhaps difficult to explain/understand.
Yup, this is a known bug, or really more of an "unintended feature". It comes from the fact that if you had destroyed the monster with the ship still in the system, it would make sense for it to try to colonize again, but that means it is stored permanently. I don't know much about the FO code, but it might be hard to change this since it depends on the interplay of the server and client...and then again, it might not be so hard.
Not being able to cancel that colonization is a bug, though.

MiniMe
Space Squid

#14 Post by MiniMe »

qsswin wrote:
MiniMe wrote:One minor bug which i've forgot to mention in the previous versions:
I can't imagine why that would happen, looking at the script. Are you sure there wasn't a asteroids colony in the system? That should provide the bonus, too.

druid
Space Floater

#15 Post by druid »

One more bug. I've tried different options of window size in dual headed system with different resolution of dysplays (trying to see planets names on production panes, reduced fonts to 10 too), and now I can't launch FO normally. At first, all panes were suitabled too far left and up - unusable , but after I've switched off big screen, I can't see any useful information in FO window anymore, maxmize and minize window doesn't help.
Can I delete config with screen settings? Please advice where it's location.

Update: re-launched it again and it works...