Feedback V0.42

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Cluesen
Space Floater

Feedback V0.42

#1 Post by Cluesen »

Running V0.42 on Windows7 64Bit Pentium E5800 2cores@3,2Ghz, 16GB RAM.

1.) Further into a somewhat bigger gamesetup (turn > 200, 250 Planets, 20 beginner AIs) the game becomes almost unplayable. One core is completely busy.
2.) After building an artificial Planet out of a gas giant with gas giant generator, the gas giant generator bonus still remains.
3.) With a network of Interstellar Lighthouses Colony Bases are able to travel starlanes.
4.) In design screen values are not updated when adding stealth devices or engines to a hull.
5.) Concept: If Collective Thought Network does not work if there is starlane travel within 500uus it's kind of useless.
6.) Planetary Cloaking Device cannot be added to research.
7.) Research: When using list-format queued Projects are not 'marked' Queued.
8.) I propose to add a message in SitRep when a planet with Concentration Camp becomes uninhabited.
9.) I propose to add a message when an Artificial Planet is created (The turn after the project completed)
10.) OrbitalShields becoming psychically controlled is somewhat irritating.

and one good news, i've played over 500turns with different game setups, always ran into busy processors but never encountered a crash.

Overall you're doing a great job there, for a pre-alpha this is looking very good.
~Cluesen

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Re: Feedback V0.42

#2 Post by AndrewW »

The number of AI's and system effects turn time. With that many AI's I would expect the game to get rather slow. Each AI runs in it's own thread and can run on another core which helps but you've got a lot of AI's there...

Cluesen
Space Floater

#3 Post by Cluesen »

Yes, i see the processes in the TaskManager, but there is a single one cunsuming up to 50% CPU.
It closes down the core the interface uses, the other still got air to breathe.
The beauty of travel is visiting foreign countries and meeting new people.
G.Khan

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#4 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Welcome.
Cluesen wrote:Yes, i see the processes in the TaskManager, but there is a single one cunsuming up to 50% CPU.
It closes down the core the interface uses, the other still got air to breathe.
There are certainly many optimizations that can still be done. In particular, many of the algorithms FO uses can be improved upon, and the game doesn't currently use multithreading.

Your number 4 has already been addressed - you can find the most recent builds for windows here.

2 and 3 are things that I can do something about more or less immediately.

edit: Revision 6049

Code: Select all

- Restricted the Interstellar Lighthouse's speed bonus to ignore immobile ships.
- Added an effect to the Gas Giant Generator to destroy itself when its planet is no longer a Gas Giant.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

wheals
Space Squid

#5 Post by wheals »

For number 6, I think that's intentional -- It can only be researched by exploring ancient ruins. Maybe there should be a "hidden" bit for techs that makes them show only if they have been researched, even if you have "show all" on.

Number 8, I'd be even more assertive: there should be a sitrep WHENEVER a colony reaches 0 pop, since that is a pretty important change and irreversible too without a colony ship.
All my code and content provided herein or on GitHub is released under the GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0, as appropriate.

Cluesen
Space Floater

#6 Post by Cluesen »

Concerning 6) If Planetary Cloaking Device is not a 'researchable' tech and can only be obtained through ancient ruins then it should not appear in the research tree at all.

Concering 10) Are the AI's are really building these ships?
I thought they were derived from the 'Planetary Barrier Shields'.
Players don't get such ships.
There's a couple of thoughts coming into my mind:
10a) If they are 'derived', do they count as ship for the AIs increasing build cost?
10b) If they are 'derived' they are immobile ships 'protecting' the whole system and not a single planet.
10b) If the AI actively builds them whatfor?

And one more, but i don't have the correct names at hand, will edit/correct later.
11) One can receive a building from ancient ruins saying that one does not have to build 'Neutronium Forges' for use of Neutronium ship parts.
This currently does not work, a Neutronium Forge is still required at the shipyard.
[edit] Forget this, my fault, should have RTFM[/edit]
Last edited by Cluesen on Tue May 21, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G.Khan

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Cluesen wrote:Concering 10) Are the AI's are really building these ships?
If an AI has them, it probably produced them.
Players don't get such ships.
If an AI can produce them, so can a player. You might need to make a suitable design to be able to do so, though.
10b) If the AI actively builds them whatfor?
To give attacking ships more things to shoot at, so the AI's planetary defenses or armed ships will survive longer in battles and do more damage to tho opposing forces.

MiniMe
Space Squid

#8 Post by MiniMe »

Cluesen wrote:9.) I propose to add a message when an Artificial Planet is created (The turn after the project completed)
It's already being done for Terraforming and Exobots and i'd also propose this not only for Artificial Planet, but all projects that are actually only useable one turn after completion.

If this would lead to too much SitRep Spam, then might as well remove the "completed" message. Nothing can be done in that round anyway.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

Cluesen wrote:11) One can receive a building from ancient ruins saying that one does not have to build 'Neutronium Forges' for use of Neutronium ship parts.
This currently does not work, a Neutronium Forge is still required at the shipyard.
The text you you're referring to is the pedia description of the building you got (which is the "Neutronium Synthesizer"). I just checked, it says that you do not have to build a "Neutronium Extractor" at a neutron star anymore to use neutronium ship parts, as the Neutronium Synthesizer replaces the Neutronium Extractor, not the Neutronium Forge. At least it says so in the English stringtable, I assume you are referring to the English text?

Cluesen
Space Floater

#10 Post by Cluesen »

Yes, i'm using english language in the game.
My fault, typical RTFM bug, forget it.
G.Khan

Cluesen
Space Floater

#11 Post by Cluesen »

I found a solution for my #8.
Cluesen wrote: 8.) I propose to add a message in SitRep when a planet with Concentration Camp becomes uninhabited.
If you add this to the Concentration Camp building it'll do the trick.

EffectsGroup
            scope = Source
            activation = OR [
                NOT ProducedByEmpire Source.Owner
                ContainedBy And [
                    Object Source.PlanetID
                    Population high = 0
                ]
            ]
            effects = [
                Destroy
                GenerateSitRepMessage
                    message = "EFFECT_CONC_CAMP"
                    icon = "icons/building/concentration-camp.png"
                    parameters = tag = "planet" data = Source.PlanetID
                    empire = Source.Owner
            ]
As i'm adding a new message it must also be added to the language files, example for eng_stringtable.txt:

EFFECT_CONC_CAMP
%planet% has been prepared for recolonisation.
EFFECT_CONC_CAMP_LABEL
Genocide
Tested with build 5771 and working.

However it only generates a SitRep after the ConcentrationCamp served it's purpose, it does not generate a SitRep when any planet becomes inhabited as proposed by wheals.
But I thought it might as well directly destroy the ConcentrationCamp, as it's no longer needed anyway.
However looking through the eng_stringtable.txt i noticed there are already preparations for a SitRep when a planet starved to death.

:D
G.Khan

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#12 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Cluesen wrote:...looking through the eng_stringtable.txt i noticed there are already preparations for a SitRep when a planet starved to death.
Those aren't preparations; they're leftovers from the old food resource, lack of which could lead to planet starvation and depopulation.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#13 Post by Dilvish »

Cluesen wrote:If you add this to the Concentration Camp building it'll do the trick.
Tested with build 5771 and working.
The scripting for concentration camps changed quite a bit back at rev 5854 (so that it was no longer so outrageously beneficial to run them a while & then scrap them). If you're wanting to contribute scripting then you should start working with the test builds. The current test build is revision ~6069. I think the concentration camp still could use a sitrep if the planet starves out, although it probably shouldn't go in the actual building script anymore. The building now starts up a "Master" concentration camp special, and if/when the building is scrapped the Master CC special swaps to a "Slave" CC special, which continues some effects for a random period of time. So if a starvation sitrep clause were added it should probably be in both the Master and Slave CC Specials.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Snake
Space Krill

#14 Post by Snake »

Hi,

I found FreeOrion some weeks ago and I've played a couple of games -> v0.4.2, W7, x64

Just wanted to say: you're doing a great job! I've played MoO II so much and I
enjoy playing FreeOrion. Really. OK, there are some rough edges but I don't care.

Carry on improving FreeOrion. It's great that you do what you do.

Greetings from Berlin

henry
Space Krill

#15 Post by henry »

I just installed FreeOrion v0.42 earlier this week. I've played it for about 12 hours. It has been fun.

One question: I have colonies on 12 planets, outposts on 6 gas giants and 2 asteroid belts. What is the fastest way to find where the waste is?

Thanks.