rev 6193

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
ogre
Space Squid

rev 6193

#1 Post by ogre »

a couple complaints about the new? ui???
Attachments
ifitaintbroke.jpg
ifitaintbroke.jpg (100.33 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
thanks for a great game. :)

Starcraft, Syndicate, Populous, Star Control II, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, X-COM UFO Defense, Spacehulk: Vengence of the Blood Angels.

ogre
Space Squid

Re: rev 6193

#2 Post by ogre »

okay,

before we had text labels... i just found myself visually stumbling over the new art
why couldn't the "click" functionality of the replacement "buttons" just get put into the "readouts" on the left side closer to the "next" button?

it's a little redundant... not to mention obscure to just remove a text label and leave icons in their place imo.

<3

Starcraft, Syndicate, Populous, Star Control II, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, X-COM UFO Defense, Spacehulk: Vengence of the Blood Angels.

ogre
Space Squid

#3 Post by ogre »

AND furthermore, deviating from the old "text label buttons" kind've breaks from the very professional & absolutely sleek welcome screen. ;)

ogre
Space Squid

#4 Post by ogre »

ALSO:
on the research screen
why does the "smallest" font no longer display?
i used to be able to shrink it 5 clicks, now i can only go 4.

i don't like the -4x font, love the -5x one what happened to the font scaling?

/* this worked on windows on the last variant i posted about prior to this rev
and also on the 'release' i was using from kali linux (debian) this morning */

ALSO (on the research screen):
there's an [x] in the top right of that clutterbug encyclopedia window that doesn't == CLOSE. i can click it all day and the window wont go away, i'll 'de'size it for now :P
well lol, i'm not looking at the code it could == CLOSE but it doesn't when _I_ click it ^_^

ogre
Space Squid

#5 Post by ogre »

why do i all of a sudden feel like going to pokerstars.net?
it's distracting :P

i asked my gf if she saw a bunch of pokerchips on the screen just now - i am colorblind and had to make sure.

her response: she says it detracts from the planets themselves.

poker... STARS
pun intended
both the old white circle and the POKERCHIP are visible at the same time l@@k close
Attachments
poker_STARS.jpg
poker_STARS.jpg (18.31 KiB) Viewed 1284 times

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#6 Post by Dilvish »

Here's the discussion about what's up with the alternative path node markers. Feel free to suggest improvements, or better yet, provide new artwork :D
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

ogre wrote:why couldn't the "click" functionality of the replacement "buttons" just get put into the "readouts" on the left side closer to the "next" button?

it's a little redundant... not to mention obscure to just remove a text label and leave icons in their place imo.
I don't know what you're referring to about buttons... The research and production empire total numbers? Those have never, as far as I know, had a text label.

The menu, research, sitrep, design, etc. button text were recently replaced with icons, which currently have bad art. This is not expected to be the final version of this art... But I don't think that's what you're talking about either.
ogre wrote:why does the "smallest" font no longer display?
Research screen text labels disappear at wide zooms because the texts gets excessively distorted when zoomed out with the current zooming mechanism.

ogre
Space Squid

#8 Post by ogre »

Dilvish wrote:or better yet, provide new artwork :D
i knew that was coming :)
thanks for the link btw

i understand why you're using the markers now, a flag with a stem on it might be a tad less invasive visually
might be a nice thing to animate and put in the species color too
thanks for putting that into perspective reguardless of it's present condition

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geoff the Medio wrote:
ogre wrote:why couldn't the "click" functionality of the replacement "buttons" just get put into the "readouts" on the left side closer to the "next" button?

I don't know what you're referring to about buttons... The research and production empire total numbers? Those have never, as far as I know, had a text label.

The menu, research, sitrep, design, etc. button text were recently replaced with icons, which currently have bad art. This is not expected to be the final version of this art... But I don't think that's what you're talking about either.
no the art doesn't concern me i realize they prolly aren't "final". i was grumbling cuz i seem to remember them fitting a 'theme' of textbuttons and i was used to it. dropping some icons on me is what prompted the 'redundant ' comment due to the fact we now have 2 industry and research icons on opposite sides of the screen when it should be possible to merge such functionality/display?

//-----------------------
Geoff the Medio wrote:
ogre wrote:why does the "smallest" font no longer display?
Research screen text labels disappear at wide zooms because the texts gets excessively distorted when zoomed out with the current zooming mechanism.
the research screen text worked at -5x clicks up until a very recent revision
now they only work at -4x something changed i find the larger fonts repulsive, i play on a laptop should we all have 1080p resolutions (or higher) to play?

i meant "smaller" not "smallest", i realize BELOW -5x clicks didn't work/display prior
but -5x DID and no longer

ogre
Space Squid

#9 Post by ogre »

incase any of you are wondering, no -- i don't play textual muds. ;)

jsena
Space Floater

#10 Post by jsena »

ogre wrote: we now have 2 industry and research icons on opposite sides of the screen when it should be possible to merge such functionality/display?
I agree with this sentiment; give all the top icons functionality and remove redundancies.
•Click on the production/research on the left side to get your production/research, and remove them from the right side.
•Click the attack-strength icon to toggle distinguish/undistinguish systems with greater/lesser strength of ship attack... something like detection circles, where radius in pixels of the circle is perhaps 2 * sqrt(the sum of the attack value of the ships + troop ships). Currently the icon for ships in system changes by quantity, but you have to click each ship cluster to find out whether they contain Mark Is versus Solar Hulls w/ Death Ray 5.
•Click on the population icon to toggle distinguish/undistinguish systems containing uncolonized planets your starting species can colonize with a positive population (perhaps larger circles to denote larger max population)
•Click the detection-range icon to toggle show/hide detection circles.

You'd probably have to make the attack/population/detection circles such that only one is active at a time, and alter the icon slightly of the one that is in use to denote it.