[6931] Psychic Domination

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Psychic Domination

#16 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Herode wrote:with low population ????
"low = 1" means that the lowest allowed population to match the condition is 1. The parameter should probably be renamed "min", but I've never gotten around to it...

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: [6931] Psychic Domination

#17 Post by Dilvish »

I just had another thought-- you say in the initial post that you were losing ships to "the enemy", and it just struck me that you might mean the monster "enemy" rather than an AI empire. Late in the game there are some very powerful roving monsters, one of which is a Psionic Snowflake; this has an ability very much like PsyDom, but looks to me like it can capture ships at a greater rate:

Code: Select all

EffectsGroup
            scope = NumberOf 4 And [
                Ship
                WithinStarlaneJumps 1 Source
                HasTag "ORGANIC"
            ]
            activation = Random 0.2
            effects = SetOwner Source.Owner

EffectsGroup
            scope = NumberOf 12 And [
                Ship
                WithinStarlaneJumps 1 Source
                HasTag "ORGANIC"
                Not HasTag "TELEPATHIC"
                Not OwnerHasTech "LRN_PSY_DOM"
            ]
            activation = Random 0.8
            effects = SetOwner Source.Owner
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Herode
Space Floater

#18 Post by Herode »

Nope, it's an AI Emprire, not a monster.
I've not played the game since my last post but I still have it at hand, I'll try some experimental moves ASAP and check exactly what happens on numbers.

BraveSirKevin
Space Squid

#19 Post by BraveSirKevin »

Dilvish wrote:I just had another thought-- you say in the initial post that you were losing ships to "the enemy", and it just struck me that you might mean the monster "enemy" rather than an AI empire. Late in the game there are some very powerful roving monsters, one of which is a Psionic Snowflake; this has an ability very much like PsyDom, but looks to me like it can capture ships at a greater rate
On this subject, is there no way to prevent the Psionic Snowflake from capturing ships midflight? It's quite common in a long game to see white fleets parked in the middle of a starlane.

Geoff the Medio

#20 Post by Geoff the Medio »

BraveSirKevin wrote:...is there no way to prevent the Psionic Snowflake from capturing ships midflight?
It should be quite simple to add a condition to the effect to restrict it to act on ships in systems...

Changing owner probably shouldn't be changing the next system / destination, though...

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#21 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
BraveSirKevin wrote:...is there no way to prevent the Psionic Snowflake from capturing ships midflight?
It should be quite simple to add a condition to the effect to restrict it to act on ships in systems...
I'd suggest slightly more specifically that we maximize similarity to PsyDom and have it only apply to ships in the same system as the snowflake (that is parallel to the change you recently did to PsyDom, yes?).
Changing owner probably shouldn't be changing the next system / destination, though...
The code does attempt to preserve these, though it might be complicated by the fact it makes a new fleet for the transferred ship (sourcecode comment"Don't reassign ownership of fleet in case that would reveal something to the recipient that shouldn't be..."; I suspect that it is some kind of visibility update problem that is both causing the new fleet to get the white coloration and also causing it to seem to hang mid-starlane.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#22 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:(that is parallel to the change you recently did to PsyDom, yes?).
I just posted a patch hoping for feedback or to spur others to extend it; I didn't change anything in SVN.

Kaezar
Space Krill

#23 Post by Kaezar »

Also playing the 0.43 version. And there are two strange things I'm meeting. Fist is, even robotic species are being dominated (in case, exobot ships get dominated) and second, that psichic domination techonology is not appearing as an option on the map. In fact, I won a game through technology without ever seeing it. How is it supposed to appear? I presume it follows psionic tech somehow, but the only tech I see after that is distributed thought computing.

Take care
Kaezar

Geoff the Medio

#24 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Kaezar wrote:...psichic domination techonology is not appearing as an option on the map. In fact, I won a game through technology without ever seeing it. How is it supposed to appear?
You might need to have a planet (or ship?) with that species on it first... I thought that just reduced the cost though. What category were you looking in?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#25 Post by MatGB »

It's a 'learning' tech, and is always there as long as you tell the research window to display locked techs, it's one of the very last, a the final prerequisite beofre Singularity of Transcendance. If you have a Telepathic species in your empire, then Psionics is 100 RP instead of 600 RP, and Psionics is an early prereq in the chain to get PsyDom.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Kaezar
Space Krill

#26 Post by Kaezar »

Thanks. I saw it now, thought it was before.

Another thing, can somebody point me to an explanation of how to install a patch? Getting ships dominated mid-flight is anoying. Specially as they start getting un-dominated in penny packets later in the game, when the ships are completely useless.

Take care

Geoff the Medio

#27 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Kaezar wrote:Another thing, can somebody point me to an explanation of how to install a patch?
If you want to just remove the tech from the game, you can search for

name = "LRN_PSY_DOM"

in techs.txt, and delete the whole tech script (from the "Tech" line preceeding, to just before the next "Tech" line).

Kaezar
Space Krill

#28 Post by Kaezar »

No, I don't want to remove it. I consider it just a handcap.

I just want to try the patch by Geoff the Medio, so I can see if it feels better that way. But once I downloaded it, I don't know what to do with it :)

Take care

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#29 Post by MatGB »

You need to create an SVN repository (I use TortoiseSVN on Windows) and then tell the game to use the repo's default directory instead of the install area, applying the patch is easy once you've got the repo up and running, put it in the home folder, right click and apply.

It does make the game better—Geoff, I vote applying it, I'd forgotten it was there but am testing some scripts on a vanilla install and PsyDom is back to annoying me horribly, that the AI can't use it without Dilvish doing some work doesn't matter as much as the annoyance factor of the current implementation.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio

#30 Post by Geoff the Medio »

You can also manually edit the game files as indicated in the patch file. It indicates what lines to add (+) or remove (-) in which files.

Edit:
MatGB wrote:It does make the game better—Geoff, I vote applying it, I'd forgotten it was there but am testing some scripts on a vanilla install and PsyDom is back to annoying me horribly, that the AI can't use it without Dilvish doing some work doesn't matter as much as the annoyance factor of the current implementation.
Done...