What unlocks planet access?

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
godel
Space Dragon

What unlocks planet access?

#1 Post by godel »

As a start, only a few planet types are available.
And as I research and progress, more and more come on line.
But there is no note in the manual/'pedia on which does this.

Now it might depend on species that I am using, but I still want/need this info.

At a minimum I would like a list of worlds that I have not colonized but have explored/sensored/probed.
This list would be the list of worlds that I could send colony ships to.
And I understand that it would be complicated by what species I have for colonization.
But I feel that such a list would be a major help in the game. It would present a list of what might be missed opportunities without me checking each world each turn.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: What unlocks planet access?

#2 Post by MatGB »

godel wrote:As a start, only a few planet types are available.
And as I research and progress, more and more come on line.
But there is no note in the manual/'pedia on which does this.
Each of the technologies that increases population tells you by how much in their relevent entries. Most of these come under "Growth" but some come under "Construction".
Now it might depend on species that I am using, but I still want/need this info.
At the moment, not really, although the Growth specials are dependent on metabolism type, but we're talking about making them more distinct.
At a minimum I would like a list of worlds that I have not colonized but have explored/sensored/probed.
This list would be the list of worlds that I could send colony ships to.
And I understand that it would be complicated by what species I have for colonization.
But I feel that such a list would be a major help in the game. It would present a list of what might be missed opportunities without me checking each world each turn
For the most part, the Objects menu does all of this, and is gradually getting improvements in the user interface. Beyond that it's worth learning the habitability wheel (in the Wiki but not yet in the Pedia clearly), and looking at the preferences of your species when you have them join your empire.

We do need to do more in game to explain all this, at some point when we've got the backend working properly for it there will be an in game tutorial as well as/on top of the Pedia, but for now that's merely in the planning stages.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

godel
Space Dragon

#3 Post by godel »

The objects menu does not allow filtering by 'colonizable planets that I have not colonized.'
This would be a great benefit for the players if that could be done.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

But all planets are colonisable. This depends on your tech level and your species mix, but once you have all the growth specials you can put any species on any planet. Having a search or filter for a current population target for a given race would probably be doable without creating a massive server drain, but it is, genuinely, not as useful once you get used to how habitability works.

It would be completely beyond my ability to code anyway, one of the more advanced Devs might want to give an opinion as to whether it's even possible.

Playing around with the filters/sort columns (right click on a column header) gives a vast number of options some of which would be useful).

Mostly, I just know what species I have and thus what planets they like, I know if I have Scylior, for example, then Ocean, Terran and Swamp worlds are worth filling up with them. For Chato, I tend to filter by star type first, as it's virtually always worth filling a Blue star system up with them (or Laenfa).
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

vincele
Space Dragon

#5 Post by vincele »

MatGB wrote:one of the more advanced Devs might want to give an opinion as to whether it's even possible.
It is possible, I've got it working with a few patches here (as I've said for some times), but I've still not posted them for review, they are the next ones on my list, but I'm not sure they will be accepted. They make the game pause for a long time when displaying that info in a objectlistwnd's column...

I'm currently trying to get my patches on github, in a reviewable, and pullable way...

I'm starting a new day-job, so will be less responsive than in the past though.
All the patches I'll provide for freeorion will be released under the GPL v2 or later license.
Let's unleash the dyson forest powa!

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

vincele wrote: It is possible, I've got it working with a few patches here (as I've said for some times), but I've still not posted them for review, they are the next ones on my list, but I'm not sure they will be accepted. They make the game pause for a long time when displaying that info in a objectlistwnd's column...
That's my biggest concern, lag is already problematic at times, however. Does it only create the lag if you select that info as a column to display? That would, possibly, be acceptable as long as we could flag it up in some way, because then those of us on lower spec machines or that otherwise have problems with lag can simply not add that column in.
I'm currently trying to get my patches on github, in a reviewable, and pullable way...
That is, I'm told, one of the advantages of the change, still getting my head around the basics at the moment.
I'm starting a new day-job, so will be less responsive than in the past though.
Congrats, happens to everyone sometimes ;-)
Mat Bowles

vincele
Space Dragon

#7 Post by vincele »

MatGB wrote:
vincele wrote:They make the game pause for a long time when displaying that info in a objectlistwnd's column...
That's my biggest concern, lag is already problematic at times, however. Does it only create the lag if you select that info as a column to display? That would, possibly, be acceptable as long as we could flag it up in some way, because then those of us on lower spec machines or that otherwise have problems with lag can simply not add that column in.
Yes, there's no added lag until you make a column show this info. And as it defaults not to show it, the game is safe as-is. But if you enable it at start of the game, when the lag is not so long, as you get to discover more of the universe, it will quickly become multi-second hangs, nothing usable, UI completely blocked...
vincele wrote:
That is, I'm told, one of the advantages of the change, still getting my head around the basics at the moment.
That's an advantage I really like, because in the end that will allow the commiters to more easily review and merge patches, which will enable development pace to get higher...
All the patches I'll provide for freeorion will be released under the GPL v2 or later license.
Let's unleash the dyson forest powa!

godel
Space Dragon

#8 Post by godel »

"Each of the technologies that increases population tells you by how much in their relevent entries. Most of these come under "Growth" but some come under "Construction"."
Not one says that it will increase your access to planet types. Not even a note so vague. Increase growth of your people, yes. Subterranean living does that.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by MatGB »

godel wrote:"Each of the technologies that increases population tells you by how much in their relevent entries. Most of these come under "Growth" but some come under "Construction"."
Not one says that it will increase your access to planet types. Not even a note so vague. Increase growth of your people, yes. Subterranean living does that.
Planet types aren't restricted, so saying a tech increases population numbers is exactly the same as opening up new types. Symbiotic Biology increases the population on Good Adequate and Poor planets, Xenological thingy increases Adequate and Poor, etc.

You can colonise a planet that has a target population below zero, the colony will simply die. Whether you'll get growth or not is dependent on the bonuses for that species on that planet.

There's an argument to say that the write ups of the techs can be improved, but you're looking for the wrong thing when you ask what tech unlocks a planet, they're not locked in the first place.
Mat Bowles

godel
Space Dragon

#10 Post by godel »

Ok, I have a species that has only one planet type that it can be succesful on at first.
What do I have to do to get it successful on more? and Which ones will be next?

Yes, this could be more of a documentation issue, as I first posted looking for information.
It became a programming issue when several species, noted as having more access to more planets, had initially only one.
Which was not so good.
More data within the game would be useful, especially for those who just start out exploring the game.

For instance if the whole planet access is a function of growth, and if, as it seems to be said above, that growth will be bigger via tech,
then two things:
1) quantify in the species notes exactly how each species starts vs planet types.
2) quantify the planets I can access now.

yeah, and 3, list all the growth oriented techs somewhere. Which was one of the things I was asking about.

For example: Species X (totally made up)
Terran -0.5
Dusty 2.0
wet -4.0
etc
Underearth living: adds .5 to planet access stats.