playtesting git

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
pheldens
Pupating Mass

playtesting git

#1 Post by pheldens »

current git:

- If I zoom out the techtree, the font disappears when it gets too small.

- The Production build list autoscrolls up when its full, making it impossible to manipulate items at the bottom

adrian_broher
Programmer

Re: playtesting git

#2 Post by adrian_broher »

pheldens wrote:current git:
There is no such thing as 'current' without a reference point. Please always note the build number/version,
pheldens wrote:- If I zoom out the techtree, the font disappears when it gets too small.
This is intentional.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Scara
Space Kraken

#3 Post by Scara »

pheldens wrote:The Production build list autoscrolls up when its full, making it impossible to manipulate items at the bottom
Maybe I had this effect aswell...
When having a long Productionlist and a ruler at the side, you can aswell manipulate the order by draging them to the top, to let the window autoscroll up before dropping it again.
Making extensive use of this feature lets the window at some point always scroll upwards. I needed to exit game entirely before being able to use the production list again.
Sorry I didn't mention it before, I sort of forgot over it, when using the place top, bottom feature and avoiding the autoscroll feature :roll: .
I just tried to reproduce with version from 06-09.
It happens pretty reproducible, when I drag an item to the upper egde and drop it again, when it starts scolling.

Edit:
The described effect goes in both directions, mean when pulling items up or down letting them drop when scolling, it gets stuck scrolling up or down.
I could manage to get it right again by draging an item to a egde using scoll, but put it somewhere in the middle.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

Scara wrote:
pheldens wrote:The Production build list autoscrolls up when its full, making it impossible to manipulate items at the bottom
Maybe I had this effect aswell... you can aswell manipulate the order by draging them to the top, to let the window autoscroll up before dropping it again.
Making extensive use of this feature lets the window at some point always scroll upwards. I needed to exit game entirely before being able to use the production list again.
That is caused by dropping an item above the top (or below the bottom) of the queue while it is still scrolling to catch up to you. You shouldn't have to exit the game to clear it though, try just dragging and dropping another panel in the queue to any position other than above the top or below the bottom.

It is still a bug and a minor nuisance; I suppose we should maintain a "Known issues" list to identify things like this and remind us to eventually get around to fixing them. I sometimes bookmark things to a todo list for myself, but for the upcoming 0.4.5 we should have a formal Known Issues list.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:...we should have a formal Known Issues list.
The SF / GitHub issue trackers wouldn't serve this purpose?

Dilvish

#6 Post by Dilvish »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Dilvish wrote:...we should have a formal Known Issues list.
The SF / GitHub issue trackers wouldn't serve this purpose?
Well, I suppose it/they could :D I guess we just need to start using it more.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:I guess we just need to start using it more.
Absolutey! :D

pheldens
Pupating Mass

#8 Post by pheldens »

after finishing a game

- theres no 'you won' message

- the starmap ui in general is unclear making managing large empires horrible, popups over fleets, or total fleet strenth on the starmap would help alot

- popups in production selector cover the item the popup is for, ideally a popup should be above, and to the right

- documentation must be improved, so a noob can ingame understand building dependencies, and when buildings are not needed because 1 building covers the whole solar system, I couldnt build some ships because the dpeendencies were not immediately clear, and opted for simpler ships

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by MatGB »

pheldens wrote:after finishing a game

- theres no 'you won' message
There is for two of the three victory conditions, I never got the third one working, I (or someone) really ought to get back to it, it should be easier. Of course, that would mean agreeing what the conditions for military/conquest victory should be.

It's got to be either all populated worlds or no other empire controls either any worlds. Alternatively, capture all the capitals?

All populated worlds might not work properly as ideally you can win either by defeating everyone else or by destroying the Experimentors, and the latter are defeated once you capture their world if they're in the game. So probably no other empire owns a world is best.

{snip UI stuff, I don't really do UI/interface stuff}
- documentation must be improved, so a noob can ingame understand building dependencies, and when buildings are not needed because 1 building covers the whole solar system, I couldnt build some ships because the dpeendencies were not immediately clear, and opted for simpler ships
That I completely agree with, the ongoing horror of making the documentation actually usable is a challenge. We almost certainly need a strong note somewhere saying "most buildings aren't needed that often" as it is a massive difference to most other 4X games I've played (and one I definitely like)

On the grounds that, well, it's almost certainly me going to do it, can you be more specific about which hulls you were confused about? I thought I'd added a lot of "you need X & Y to build Z" stuff last time I went through it, but a) I might have missed some and b) it's not necessarily as clear as it needs to be.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

pheldens
Pupating Mass

#10 Post by pheldens »

some UI gripes/tips after playing 2 days;

- I would like the current production queue and the research queue to be resizable like the other windows. so people can arrange them to their own UI preference.

- The 'empires' icon at the top right could be a crown, theres a crown icon used in old versions of free orion, for capital planets

- The fleet management window should be splittable , or have a horizontal mode where fleet contents are shown to the right hand side when you click a fleet. (more efficient on widescreen monitors)

- popups need to be shown further above the mouse cursor and off to the right, particularily in the production selector

- the left up right arrow icons in Pedia need to be a flat theme, not the current << ^ >> pixel art.

- performance on hw accelerated mesa is ass (current git freeorion) , I have tried to profile what causes it but dont see a clear outlier
only 10 fps , 60% cpu use , even when idle and the window minimized
disabling acceleration in freeorion is just as fast, so I wonder if it even gets used.

- when i loaded a savegame the starsystem names came back without indicators , i.e. I had Wraith a, writh b, Wraith c systems, but after loading they were all three named just 'Wraith', which made it hard to manage

Dilvish

#11 Post by Dilvish »

pheldens wrote:- when i loaded a savegame the starsystem names came back without indicators , i.e. I had Wraith a, writh b, Wraith c systems, but after loading they were all three named just 'Wraith', which made it hard to manage
Had you changed languages in the meantime? and what version are you playing? There was an issue (which I had let myself think we had resolved, but perhaps not) about those suffixes not getting pulled from the default language properly if the main language file setting was changed. Other than that I haven't heard of anything along those lines.

pheldens
Pupating Mass

#12 Post by pheldens »

no I hadn't

But I have not seen the bug repeat itself (using a newer git build now)

pheldens
Pupating Mass

#13 Post by pheldens »

played another game yesterday with fresh git, last one for now

- documentation needs to be improved, particular the unit dependencies need to be clearly mentioned in the pedia, and the supply line concept needs to be clarified, so people don't build certain building types unnecessarily, neutronium mining refining needs to be mentioned in pedia, and the bomb too
- ui workflow needs to be improved
- When the game goes into the end stage the gameplay is no longer fun, you're just fighting the starmap ui which has 0 overview in one glance with all the stacked fleets, popups or tally blendins would help
- ui needs to be tweaked so you reduce mouseclicks, throughout

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#14 Post by Geoff the Medio »

pheldens wrote:- ui workflow needs to be improved
- ui needs to be tweaked so you reduce mouseclicks, throughout
These are completely, and almost completely meaninglessly vague. Specific suggestions might be helpful.

pheldens
Pupating Mass

#15 Post by pheldens »

- The dark blue species color on black background is very hard to read for me (and probably a percentage of other people)
perhaps it can be adjusted by mixing some white in the dark blue